1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A couple of issues with new snow thrower

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sven1277, Dec 7, 2008.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I just bought a new Simplicity P1738 pro series snowblower. I used it for the first time today on a new concrete walkway. It was pulling towards the left and it took a lot of effort to keep it straight. The tires appear to be evenly inflated although I admit I didn't put a tire gauge to them. Also, it felt as if there was too much friction between the skid shoes and the concrete, it was hopping a lot and having a difficult time especially going down hill. I was wondering if an altenative skid material such as solid uhmw plastic? Been plowing for years but this is the first year with snow blowers.

2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Did you adjust the skid shoes to leave a little snow and not scrape so close? Does the concrete have a lot of imperfections or is it pretty smooth. Checking tire pressures is important as a small difference in pressure can change rolling height and traction.

3. AHammen

AHammen Member

I know on my snow blower there is a lynch pin that goes through the hub on the wheel and the drive axel. Last year I was struggling to keep it straight (wanted to pull the one side) then noticed that the lynch pin on one of the wheels was missing so only one tire was actually being turned. Your blower is new so the pin should be there (if there is one maybe your simplicity uses a different setup) but take a look.

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Simplicity snow blowers do have the pin that is mentioned. If the pin is not there on one side the blower will pull hard to the other side. Also as mentioned, adjust your skid shoes down. There should be two bolts holding the shoe to each side of the blower. It is best to leave about 1/8 of an inch of snow on the side walk. You take less chance of leaving scrape marks on the concrete that way.

5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Thanks for the help

6. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

I have the same machine, and had the same problem. Adjusted the shoes and it made some difference. I fixed the problem by adjusting tire inflation. They have differing amounts in each tire now, but now my machine scraps evenly.....

Wayne

7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

On my snow blowers I took the skid shoes off because they were wearing out too fast. And I replaced them with wheels from a set of inline skates. Works great on concrete.