1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A couple more X-Blade questions...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by taken, Jan 15, 2009.

1. taken

taken Member

Hey guys, new guy here with another question or two about the X Blade. I have a new F250 on order and the dealer who I am buying from is a Fisher dealer. I had planned to have them install a 8' HD MM2 before I pick it up. I originally wanted a stainless X-Blade but a local Fisher dealer (Not where I'm buying the truck and plow) told me that for just doing driveways and a small lot or two it is completely the wrong plow. Wrong blade angle and big time overkill and is really only meant for municipalities and contractors plowing roads. I was pretty disappointed as I realize it is heavier duty than I needed, but I love the stainless look and the longevity. So, I had my truck dealer write me up for a HD, but after reading here I see that plenty of people use this plow for small drives only and are really happy with it. Ok, so the questions are, us the X-Blade ok for what I want to do? What's the price difference between a HD and a stainless X-Blade? Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

2. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

1. its fine for what u want to do u can never have to much plow unless its "with wise" 8 footer is fine the only bad thing i can see is maybe doing gravel drives with the angle of attack no biggie just bump the blade up

2. in mass. the price is difference is only a couple hundred bucks

3. think about the future maybe someday ull want to expand to parking lots and larger drives where scraping can be an issue the xblade is know for its scraping ability.

4. and also moldboard doesn't rust always a great selling point

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

you can use whatever plow for whatever you want
    id say the attack angle on the Xblade would make it ideal for driveways and small lots
    it will scrape better and it definately backdrags better than the HD
    price difference im not sure on but id guess 200-500 depending on the dealer.
    id say do what you want with your money but if it was me id go for the Xblade .. my next plow is going to be an Xblade and then the XLS for the next truck
    good luck

4. taken

taken Member

Thanks guys. If it's $500 or less, I'm pretty excited. I figured the difference would be more. And I like the idea that it gives me room to grow. It also sounds like it may even perform better for what I want to do. I guess the local dealer just wanted to sell what he had on hand. Otherwise it would make sense for him to sell a more expensive plow right? Oh well, you guys gave me what I was looking for. Guess I'll call the truck dealer tomorrow for a price. What would you guys think is a fair price for an 8' X MM2 installed?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. ColliganLands

just curious what dealership is the truck coming from?

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Over kill for driveways right off the start would be the f250 you are going to driveways with. Did he tell you that too. if you can afford the xblade, get the xblade. The Back drag alot better than the yellow plow. Its your money spend it the way you want to. Plus resale of truck and plow would be higher. Or if in 2013 maybe you want a new truck. The yellow plow even with Storm guard paint are rusting a bit. The blade will still look nice, If you can afford it buy it. Also Check Ebay CPW sells xblades cheap

7. taken

taken Member

Quirk Ford.

8. ColliganLands

my truck will be there next wednesday lol
    i use them for my fisher dealer as well
    great people to deal with. my dad actually works for thier jeep store

9. taken

taken Member

Well, we didn't get into the truck size. I am not really buying it to plow, more of a tow vehicle. I am a painting contractor and will plow in the winter months which is my slow time but it's not the primary reason for buying the truck. But as far as money goes, it's doable. I just didn't want to buy the wrong unit for my application. But I guess as everyone is telling me, it should be perfect!

10. taken

taken Member

They do seem pretty good. I am actually in Holyoke. Opposite end of the state. They were the only ones who would give me what I wanted for my trade so I traveled to make it work. I hope their price is right on the plow. It just makes it easier to just pick up the truck and have it be done. They were actually $500 higher than my local Fisher dealer on the HD price, but are giving me a $1000 business owner rebate. Will see what they say tomorrow.

11. ColliganLands

well my price is different so i cant say
    but they do know thier stuff over there
    good luck and keep us posted

12. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

here in salisbury there going right at 5,000 maybe a lil cheaper always check with actual fisher dealers sometimes u can get better deals then at the dealer Walls ford up here wants 300 more for the xblade then the fisher dealer right down the street just something to think about

13. taken

taken Member

Will do. Wait, all I need is for you to make a call and my price drops right??? :jester::drinkup:

14. ColliganLands

quirk ford is a fisher dealer
    they go through foreriverindustrial out of the qunicy shipyard which is also owned by quirk
    but like i said i get "my price" so i cant tell you

15. ColliganLands

i wish i could do that but i dont think theyd go for it:salute::drinkup:

16. taken

taken Member

Will have to check their price vs. a few others. I have time as the truck is being built the week of Feb 2nd so I have a month to kill.

17. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

NEVER GET QUIRK TO PUT A PLOW ON FOR YOU!!!! They have to be the bigest hit or miss dealer in the world, You never know if a real tech or some stupid kid is putting it on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-FISHER-80-STAINLESS-STEEL-XBLADE-SNOW-PLOW-boss_W0QQitemZ130280392095QQihZ003QQcategoryZ6755QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  18. taken

taken Member

If I was confident I could do it myself, I would order from eBay or online for sure. Having never done one though, I wouldn't take the chance. Are there any dealers that are recommended in MA for price and service?

19. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

Tucks Trucks in Marlboro is a good Fisher Dealer to deal with...never had any problems with them...prices are fair...also they have TONS of 8'x5/8"x8" cutting edges for good price...They bought them last year so its last years price..$170 an edge with bolts included...Good people too!

20. ColliganLands

they havent put my plow on for me but when i go there i know whos doing my work.
    my dad is the shop foreman/ assistant service manager for jeep and Fords diesel tech is the only person who touches my truck.