1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A Couple More Installation Questions...

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dougman, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

After a lot of help from you guys, this old man is in the home stretch with installation of my 8' Boss Trip-Edge Plow on my 2006 Chevy 2500HD, but a couple questions still linger:

1) My Boss dealer recommended I ground the black cable (of the main power-to-motor red + black cable set) to a body ground on the truck. The instructions show it grounded to the negative battery terminal. I know both will work and I see possible advantages to both, but what did you or your installer do? Same with the small red (fused) and small black... to the battery terminals or somewhere else?

2) I have not cranked on the 2500HD's torsion bars and am still reluctant to do so at this time, but I need at least one more inch of height (for my 15-1/2 inches) to avoid distorting and having to butcher the lower front valance. From current replies and the archives, it seems that most of you with Chevys have cranked the front end up a full 2 inches or more... but most ended up a bit stiff and/or having to get the truck realigned. The Boss dealer says don't do it... *not recommended*... cut up the dang bumper valance instead! Question: If I just crank enough to get one extra inch, will it still affect the ride or require realignment? Is a 50/50 compromise solution possible here? I'm one of those folks who is absolutely loath to screw with alignment of a new vehicle if all is otherwise okay.

3) What is this purple key vs. green key business in regard to the torsion bars and do I have to worry about it with a 2006 2500HD with the plow prep package? Or am I already "green"???

4) Most folks seem to like Timbrens and I just found out how cheap and easy they are to install. First Question: Will they alone raise the front end from stock? Second Question: If I do crank on the torsion bars... one inch or possibly two... will Timbrens still make sense? Or will I have increased the gap so much that they will never contact under normal use?

As always, thanks for your help!
    Dougman

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

1)Mine and every other truck ive seen has all the wires you talk about going directly to the battery terminals.

2)If youre going to crank them, go like 4 or 5 turns max. If you intend on using Timbrens i wouldnt go over 4. I went 4 turns and threw a set of timbrens on. Nice stiff ride but not annoyingly bumpy. With that amount of turns there shouldnt be a need for alignment.

3)As for the purple green key thing i have trouble understanding that whole thing. But the way i understand it is that the 1/2ton 1500s are keyed green and 2500/3500 are purple:confused:

4)The t-bars stiffen your front end up & reduce travel area and the timbrens replace your stock bump stops and dont compress as much when a load is on your front suspension. With my t-bars turned 4 times and timbrens on, the timbrens still rest on the lower arm without the plow on. You will get a little bit of height with the timbrens but more so with the t-bars cranked.

Dunno if im making any sense, im tired. LOL oh well
    Somebody correct me if im wrong

3. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Well, nobody corrected you, so you must be right! :nod:

I ended up going to the (-) battery terminal for grounding as you said. I've picked up both my positives off the remote (+) terminal in the little red box (grinding a new hole in the box to make it happen. Made more sense and I didn't have to lengthen the short red solenoid cable.

I lowered my push beam 1 inch on the brackets... so today I guess I crank enough on those torsion bars to get my inch back (to hold to that 15-1/2"). And you were right: I've got the purple keys. I also cut the lower valance at the brackets only and the whole thing looks much better now.

Holding up on ordering the Timbrens until things settle out with the torsion bars, I pickup the ballast and I drive around for a day or two with the plow installed.

I notice in another thread that some folks crank way up for winter plowing and crank down after the season ends for the best possible ride. If realignment is truly necessary each time, that seems to be an awful lot of $ and shop time.

So things are finally coming together on this Boss plow. Today is the big day: I get to see if the whole thing works. What was supposed to take no more than 5 man-hours will have taken me close to 20 total man-hours spread over a week. Life sucks when you are old, don't have all the right tools, run into fitting problems all over the place and have to work outside in the cold... and you agonize (as only an old mechanical engineer could) over getting every last detail right. :salute:

Dougman

4. 06HD BOSS

Well Doug im glad your nearing the end of the project and hope everything works. Now do me a favor and POST SOME DAMN PICTURES of this project ive heard so much about!wesport LOL :drinkup:

5. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Ha!!! :) Funny thing is that for all the extra research, precision and painstaking detail, it *ain't* gonna look much different than anyone else's 8' Boss Plow! :D The difference is all in my mind. I've got the peace of mind of knowing exactly zero shortcuts were taken and that it is installed exactly how I wanted it. If it fails due to mis-assembly, I have no one to blame but myself. I like it that way.

Also found out today that my truck is a little cockeyed and cranking on the driver's side TB actually raises the passenger side (which already was higher to start) more than it raises the driver's side. :dizzy: Meanwhile, the Boss pushbeam is still slightly lower on the (higher) passenger's side than it is (lower) driver's side. Go figure! The bottom line is that I'm gonna let it all settle out and get the ballast in there before any more cranking. As of now, I've gone 5 cranks on the driver's side and 3-1/2 cranks on the passenger's side to gain a mere 3/4 inch in pushbeam height.

She's all set to add the hydraulic fluid and test tomorrow. Pray for me!!! :angel:

Dougman

6. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

I finally borrowed my girlfriend's nifty digital camera yesterday and here is the result:

[​IMG]

Like I said... ain't much different than anyone else's Chevy 2500HD with an 8 foot Boss! :waving:

Enjoy!

Dougman

7. 06HD BOSS

I just had to look outside and make sure you didnt steal my stuff. Ive got the same exact truck and blade. Looks like everything worked out for ya. But how much did you hafta pay to get that pile of white stuff delivered?

8. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Here is a full side view:

[​IMG]

Note the extra bolts to make the pushbar installation look more "complete" and the support line holding the external wiring harness and plugs well off the pavement until my hidden plug bracket is installed. Still hesitating on that final step until precise measurements can be taken and the galvanic corrosion issue (bumper chrome vs. carbon steel or aluminum) can be addressed. Obvious as well, I need to take it out some night and final aim the headlights. I guess the shoes can come off as well... no real need.

As for the "snow"... You'll just have to guess where I found it! :D

Dougman

9. 06HD BOSS

Did you have BNC & Grassbusters truck some back from Colorado for you? LOL

10. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Ha!!! No, but don't think I haven't thought about that! Can you believe I decided to get rich by getting into snowplowing... during the warmest winter in recorded history??? :dizzy:

I gave you one hint already. "Snow" was in quotes because it is not really snow.

No more hints... but now you should get it for sure! :waving:

Dougman

11. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I'm guessing it's from an indoor ice skating rink, as I drove by a pile like that today.

12. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Bingo! :drinkup: It was my girlfriend's suggestion. Got to admit... it adds atmosphere! :nod: If I waited for real snow, I'd have no pictures at all.

Anyway... absolutely correct! Give that man a cigar! :)

Dougman