1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A couple MD75 Questions, from a newbie

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by driver444, Jan 21, 2009.

1. driver444

driver444 Junior Member

I just bought a new leftover 2008 Ford F-150 supercab, 6.5 foot bed, with the 5.4 liter engine. I was on Snowdogg's "plow package selector" and for whatever reason, my truck's specs aren't there. Here's what I mean...

I have a GVWR of 7200, a FGAWR of 3750, and a RGAWR of 3850. When I put in the GVWR, it automatically gives me a 3900 FGAWR. The only way I can get the 3750 to come up is to reduce the GVWR to 6950, or change the engine to a 4.6 liter. I know the truck exists. It's sitting in my driveway!!!

Anyway, I'm interested in the MD75. Will this truck handle it OK? It looked good on the Ford in the video on Snowdogg's website, but I don't know if that truck had any "work" done to it, like Timbrens or something.

I looked at the Suburbanite/Homesteader, but plastic and rubber bands don't give me much confidence. The Snowdoggs look really nice, and heavy-duty for a lighter plow. And at 400lbs, (plus the mounts) it weighs less than the Fisher LD, or Western Midweight.

Also, if you had to categorize the MD75, would you put it in the same category as the Homesteader/Suburbanite, or the Western Midweight/Fisher LD?
    Thanks for any info.

2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Technically it's telling you that the truck won't support the plow, but it must be very close. I've had complaints that the plow selector should say "NO" instead of just pretending the vehicle doesn't exist. Opinions will vary from dealer to dealer on whether or not it's a good idea. It comes down to your vehicle warranty. The F150's we use didn't need Timbrens for the MD75.

The MD75 falls squarely between the two, and is more comparable to a Boss Sport Duty or a Meyer Drive Pro. At Western shops, It sells directly against the Homesteader/Suburbanite - and is quite a bit less expensive.

Most people are using it for homeowner use or for their own business lots. Some are using it for commercial residential use.

Scott

3. driver444

driver444 Junior Member

Wow, that was a quick reply. Thanks

So am I right to assume the truck in the video has a 3900# FAWR? If not, it's the exact same truck I have!

I guess I'm still confused though. If I changed the overall GVWR to 6950, as opposed to 7200, keeping the same front end rating (3750), it was OK. Why would a truck with a higher overall GVW rating, have a problem? I'm not trying to be a P.I.T.A! Just confused. I'd be willing to bet that it's a matter of like 15 pounds making the decision here!

4. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

Ha smoorman when are the wings coming out .I have read that your still workin on them just wondering also are you going to be able to use them on the md 68.I just wanted to say that i have posted about my snowdogg and think its a great plow.I have owned a few diff ones and i got the email about the weld dealer took care fast.Luv the plow.

5. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Looks like a glitch in the selector. Ford has more spring combinations than most... I ran it through, you can put an MD75 on, but it's asking for 900lbs of ballast :eek:

You'll probably want some Timbrens, and a nice SHPE1500 for the back of your truck...:D

Scott

6. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Glad you like it. We don't currently recommend wings for the MD plows - but I do know of a guy that is trying them on his MD75. The MD75 has 2 more ribs than the MD68 - which helps.

We ARE releasing wings for the EX and HD plows next season. MD wings are still in early design stages.

Scott

7. driver444

driver444 Junior Member

Thanks Scott,

I really appreciate you looking into that, especially since you gave me the answer I wanted to hear!!!

It did seem a little weird to me. I already have the Timbrens in, because I knew there would be a plow on this truck one way or another.

Thanks again,

8. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

Driver444 i have timbrens on my ranger and they work nice with the plow.Smoorman thanks for reply i t would be good if you came out with the wings for md .I also wanted to tell you that i had to get knew caps for connectors broke first time .Went and got a different set but happened again. I think instead of plastic on cap should install thin clip on chain some how it wouldn't break CAP IS Good .Just a thought run it by development it would last.

9. driver444

driver444 Junior Member

Thanks Rangerdogg. I like the pic. That's a MD 68 I assume. Seems like a perfect match for your truck.

After looking at the video on Snowdoggs website again, I think I realized something. That looks to be a HD or EX plow on that F-150, not an MD. It's got 4 trip springs, not 2, and a 1/2 inch cutting edge, not 3/8".

So Here's my logic... If that truck is identical to mine, and the only thing that could be different is the 3900# front end as opposed to my 3750#, and that plow is a couple hundred pounds heavier than what I'm looking at, I should be fine. I do have the big radiator, towing package, tranny cooler, all that good stuff. The Timbrens should put me well over the edge.

10. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

snowddogg

I was at my snow dogg dealer yesterday and he told me that he has said you can put the hd 75 on a 150 or 1500 but your close to limit.Like he said and i say i know that there are people using md for commercial not made for that they say,but like some people have said it should be able to do some i know there built for light trucks but everyone doesnt always do so,and for the money it should be...But you also no matter what plow you have you shouldnt beet on your rig.It will just cost you more to fix things.It if you have to go that fast then maybe you need more trucks.wesport

11. Les Howards

Les Howards Junior Member

to Dealer or not to Dealer

Hi, I am new to the Plow Site. I recently acquired a Buyers/Snow Dogg, Timbren, dealership. I am very encouraged by the reputation the Snow Dogg and Timbren has on this site.

Am I limited to replying here only as an individual or is it o.k. to represent myself here as a dealer as well?...offering questions and answers.

Thank you for your reply , Les Howards
    Howards Truck and Tractor Equipment LLC
    Stanwood, Washington
    425-314-3448
    http://www.plowsales.com/
    http://www.leshowardstractorrepair.com/