1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A couple different problems

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by WIplower, Dec 21, 2008.

1. WIplower

WIplower Junior Member

I have a 7.5 straight blade on my truck and had a couple problems the last time out.

First, occasionally the controls will not work. No matter the position of the blade, the controls do nothing. If one of the buttons are pushed, you can hear a click of a solenoid in the area of the pump. So far the fix has to been to get out, unplug the wire harness and re plug it. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. I've also turned off the hand held controller and turned it back on and that has cured the problem.

Second, is the light switch to go from truck light to plow lights doeasn't work. I haven't had a lot of time to chase down these problems with being sick, working and all the other running that comes with this time of year.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Clean and spread the pins in the power cable connection. That usually fixes intermittent no moment issues. Second cause is a failing under hood solenoid or loose/poor cable connection at the battery or solenoid. Last is a loose cable connection (either power or ground) on the pump motor.

As to the light switch, simply disconnect the switch and jump the two wires together that lead to it (ignition switch on as well). If the lights then switch from truck to plow then you know the switch itself is defective as it does happen from time to time. If it still doesn't switch then you likely have a relay issue.

3. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

Check power and ground wires between solenoid and the plow motor.Maybe an easy fix.

4. WIplower

WIplower Junior Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I believe I fixed one problem and created another.

It finally climbed above zero tonight so I decided to go out and try to find the problem with the plow not wanting to raise or turn. I started by removing the cover over the pump (the plastic cover).
    First, I had to remove the upper pin from the lift cylinder to get the cover out of the way.
    After all that was done, I proceeded to check all the connections on the solenoids and all seemed fine.
    Next, I checked the power and ground connections on the motor.
    BINGO, the ground was loose and rusty. I removed the bolt, cleaned all the rust off the motor body and the wire terminal, put some dielectric grease on it and tightened the bolt up.
    I then reinstalled the plastic cover(without bolts for now) and went to check if it worked. I turned the hand held controller on and hit the lift button. Nothing, so I held it down for a second. POP, what the F was that:confused:

Then it hit me, I didn't reinstall the pin in the upper end of the lift cylinder.
    Yep, it broke the fitting on top of the valve body.

Good news, I believe the power problem to be fixed
    Bad news, I need a new fitting and probably a new hose. And while I'm at it, some fresh fluid couldn't hurt either.

Now to find a BOSS dealer that's open on Christmas Eve day.