1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A continuing education question - What would you want to know?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Lad, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Let's say hypothetically there was a continuing education class that was offered at your local community college that covered snow and ice management - what would you want to get from the class?

I suppose any number of classes could be designed depending on the knowledge level the class assumes (e.g. introduction, intermediate, advanced) or the course material (e.g. business, plow operations, equipment) and what demographic makes up the class (e.g. owner/operator, employee, subcontractor, site manager for parks/colleges, etc.).

Let's assume owner operator at the moment getting into the business. So a basic overview and introduction. The class would be multiple sessions long in the evenings over a period of several weeks. What would need to be included for it to be of interest and of value?

The input of those that are just starting out as well as those in business for some time would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

John Allin's book on snow & ice management gives an excellent overview of all aspect of this business, save your money & sheel out the $ 40.00 for the book. As fo further contuing education for more experienced SIMA offers some training seminars, & I belive is planning on many more. Good Luck.

3. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I have John's book. It's a very good read. I'm not speaking for the SIMA education committee, but I'm doing a little initial research to see what type of curriculum could be developed by the education committee for CSP's or others to use if they were to teach a continuing education program locally. I"m looking to see if SIMA could develop something that would be helpful not only to the membership but also to those just starting out in the industry. Looking into the possibility at this point, nothing for sure.

SIMA does an excellent job with the training. In fact, there will be four regional training seminars coming up in April hosted by successful companies which will review their systems and methods of running a snow business, titled "... And I did it my way". Check out SIMA's website for information.

4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Great question.

I think it would be useful to many who are just starting out--and I think the number of times it's asked here on PlowSite bears this out--to give the students very specific tools to use in figuring out how to price their work.

So many times we see a thread that asks "what should I charge?", and the replies follow the same pattern--"Figure out what your costs are, and how much you want to make per hour, then figure out how much work you can do in an hour, and cruch the numbers. That's how much you should charge."

If guys new to the business *knew* how to figure their costs, and *knew* how much they could do in an hour, they'd be able to figure out on their own what to ask for.

5. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Any suggestions/comments anyone?

A couple of ideas:
    1) Review of contracts, insurance and business registration
    2) How to determine production times and capacity for work
    3) How to manage a storm event - calling out, plowing with the storm, etc.
    4) Weather watching and recording of information
    5) Use of subcontractors or being a sub contractor
    6) Available resources (e.g. plowsite, SIMA, Salt Institute, books, magazines, etc.)

What else should be included in the agenda?