1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A coil removal???

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by bluemonster, Jan 25, 2012.

1. bluemonster

bluemonster Junior Member
    from CT

Have an E60H lift and need to remove and replace the "A" coil as plow will not lower and this is where troubleshooting has led me. I have a black plastic modular coil stamped with "genuine Meyer part" but after removing the top nut cannot get the coil to come off the cartridge stem. Tried a bit of leverage but don,t want to apply too much force. Is there a trick to removing the coils from the stems, will only slide up about a quarter of an inch! Any suggestions appreciated

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Once the bolt is removed they should pretty mach fall right off. Very uncommon to have a swollen A valve but if this is the case it will take some prying to get it off. If A valve is swollen you will also need to replace the valve.

3. bluemonster

from CT

Thanks, will give it some additional persuasion. Tight quarters though,

4. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

I had one I had to use channel locks to get to move the other two just slid right off.

5. bluemonster

from CT

When you say slide off, you mean just pull off the top right? I have tried to pry with a screwdriver and pull up with pliers. Am I going about this the right way? Seems so simple.

6. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Yup like I said one I had to use channel locks to rock back and forth on one and it eventually came loose. The other two slid right off after I took the retaining nut off the top.

7. bluemonster

from CT

Thanks much

8. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I have never had any luck getting just the coil off. Always seem to have ones that have swelled and have to replace the whole thing for A, B and C's. Lucky to have 1 go per year, between 4 pumps - so thats not too bad.

9. bluemonster

from CT

Thanks for the advice. Forced the coil off and replaced it and the cartridge. All set now. Much appreciated.

10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Was the valve swollen? If so and you didn't damage the coil you may want to keep it as a spare.

11. bluemonster

from CT

The cartridge got bent while forcing the coil off. Told by the dealer from whom I got the OEM replacement that when the coil shorts out it generates enough heat to distort (melt) the plastic lining in the coil preventing it from simply sliding off. Was the case here, and he correctly recommended my purchasing both coil and cartridge as a kit before I walked out the door. He was not confident it would come off without damage, and was right, $98 later.....