1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'A' coil problem

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by wmslc, Mar 9, 2011.

1. wmslc

wmslc Junior Member

My 'A' coil went out on my E60 about two weeks ago (plow wouldn't go down), so I got a new one and it worked great until today. I have barely used the plow at all and now the plow wont go down, and I have narrowed it down to the 'a' coil again (no magnetism but I do get a spark when I wiggle it, which triggers the overload light).

Is it common to replace a coil so soon or is there an underlying issue that I am overlooking? Is there a proper way to clean a coil?

I've checked and cleaned every connection on the pump and from the pump back to the truck.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.
  2. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Was the replacement coil Meyer or aftermarket? The aftermarket ones are hit or miss, some are junk right out of the box!
  3. wmslc

wmslc Junior Member

I will double check but I think its a Meyer part.
  4. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

coils are like strippers you never no when they are going to perform.:laughing: hope its coil and not controler ..what kind of controler you running.... i only use slick stick because you can get new ones for 55.00 bucks i always have extra coils and slick stick with me when plowing and extra pump .never had stick go out but have had guy break 1 getting in truck.... if its not 0 out i will change coils in storm but depends how much ice on pump ...its easyer to pull 2 pins unplug wires and change pump if you do alot of plowing look into buying spare pump ..:mechanic:
  5. wmslc

wmslc Junior Member

Im using the older style touch pad controller. I just put on the new coil and the pump is working great now.

I've already started to buy all the spare parts I can, but I may take your advice and buy a spare pump since its hard to diagnose problems during a storm.