1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A cat

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cmo18, Feb 8, 2011.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Cat 924G, works real good, terrible traction tho. Only use it for stacking, wish I could put a 12 foot pusher on it. Any one else running one?

Question: a buddy says that in a new loader you can switch from reverse to forward without coming to a complete stop? Any truth to that?

I always treat every piece of equipment like my truck and always stop, any opinions?

Those two pictures of two different ice chunks I picked up. They were massive.

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG00088-20110208-0957.jpg

IMG00087-20110208-0957.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you can go from forward to reverse without comming to a complete stop.

3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I guess I should of added without damaging the tranny

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I have been running a loader for several years and have not ever completely stopped with the exception of roading a machine. If pushing/stacking i just let off the gas and either thumb shift in our Cat or lever shift in the Deere from forward to reverse.
    It was explained to me once and from what I remember they said something about the torque(spelling?) converter and it's ok to do so just let off the gas before doing so.

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

How big was the second chunk? That's the same piece:nod: Loaders do have crappy traction, you could try different tires. Does it have diff lock or limited slip

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Limited slip, which sucks, The tires are loaded too but still suck.

The second pic is a different piece of ice, it was one massive chunk but it wouldnt fit in the bucket!

7. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

i think 4x4 farmer on here runs a 924g .

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Yup.............

9. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, who's a little negative today? I hope this is your vent for the day thread!

10. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Well, yesterday was a bad day. But the loader really gets no traction, very disappointed in that matter. On a positive matter, it works like a dream!

11. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I quite often run a 938g and have not trouble with traction. I usually find myself trying to use too much power, just use the boom similar to how you wood when filling the bucket with sand of a pile in the summer.Once you get the bucket into the snow pile, boom up to get weight on the front end and be a little lighter on the throttle. If it's really icy, carry a bag of salt/ice melter and throw it around in front of the pile. After a little time grabbing a few buckets of snow the tires of the loader will mash the salt in and spread it around a little. This should help some. It did for me.