1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A/c problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blublzr, Jul 7, 2010.

1. blublzr

blublzr Member

Hi there,
    i was wondering if its worth getting a used A/C compressor from a junk yard. i just had the a/c system charged and was informed that my compressor is week.its not blowing cold air... does anyone know what the latest compatable year is that will fit a 1999 silverado LS (newer bodystyle)

thanks, wil;)

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have the same issue with my 98 Yukon! :angry:
    I have been told it is because of the 2 part compressor and it leaks at the center. Just told it would be a tad over $500 to replace/fix and the used/rebuilt/re-man/junkyard ones should not be trusted and is no real warranty. So if I got a used one and it took a crap again for the same thing I would be out that money and still end up with a non-working unit.

I am just having the compressor replaced new and be done with it. I am told this is a common problem with these type of compressors so a used one I wont even look at.

3. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I used seltec/valeo replacement compressors on both of my 98 chevy trucks which are supposed to be much better thant the HT6 compressors that the OBS trucks, tahoes, and suburban's used. I ordered mine from ackits.com and the compressor was under $300 brand new. I've had one on my 98 K1500 for the last two years and its working great with no signs of leakage. I just put one on my 98 K3500 a few weeks ago.

As far as getting a used one from the JY, you don't know what you are getting and you don't want to risk the thing coming apart on you because then the whole system will be contaminated. Most part store compressors are not very high quality, especially the reman ones. If you do get one from a parts store, buy brand new.

AC repair is really not that hard as long as you have the right equipment and a little know how. I learned everything I know about it by going to some websites and buying a couple of repair books and to this date, I have repaired or totally redone the systems on nine vehicles in the last four years since I've learned to do this stuff. One thing I did learn was do the repair right the first time so you don't have to do it again for a long time.

Wayne

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A/C systems have to be the original domino theory. I have seen it happen many times. The compressors bad, it's replaced, of course the receiver dryer needs replaced. A line will not seal or broke, replace. It's charged and the condenser now leaks. Tear it down and replace the condenser. Draw it down and charge it and you now have our lady of cold air again! It's worth it to have A/C to be comfortable in your vehicle. It can just cost you worse case.