1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a/c problem

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodgegmc1213, Jul 2, 2014.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

had no problem with the a/c last year but ever since I started using it this year it stays on when I shut the truck off and take the key out. I been shutting it off every night but forgot to Monday night and woke up to a dead truck Tuesday. the button wouldn't unlock the door so I thought the battery in the remote died so unlocked the door manually with the key, when I opened the door I heard the blower motor going and alil air was coming out of the a/c vents, truck was died as a door nail. anyone have any input on what could be the problem? is it possibly the relay going?
    thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Whoa wait. Is the blower motor not shutting OFF or the a/c compressor clutch not disengaging?

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Pretty sure he has electric fans

4. dodgegmc1213

Dieselss: if I keep the control knob on and shut the truck off the a/c either stays on or come back on a few secs after the truck was shut off, so I have to make sure I turn that knob off before I get out of the truck. It has to be the blower motor staying on because the truck has to be running for the a/c itself. I guess I should of worded that better, it just started happening a few months ago when I put the a/c on for the 1st time this year. Thats what makes me think it has something to do with the a/c because it didnt happen at all during the winter with the heat.

5. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Do you have electric cooling fans

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So its the blower motor. Ok. So I'm pretty sure its gunna be the positive side of the system. What you gunna have to do is take the control out and prob for power

7. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

The resistors screw up in the control panel if it is that. It's not usually the blower itself they usually just don't work when they have problems

8. dodgegmc1213

I dont have electric fans yet. So the resistors are in the control panel for the heat/ a/c control? If there bad then I just need to replace that panel?

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Yep usually. Manual knobs right

Might be able to find one in a junkyard cheap

10. dodgegmc1213

Yes manual knobs 3 of them, ok how do I know if there bad? Do I just get a new panel and if it fixes it I know that was it?

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

That's what I always did. Just returned it if it wasn't the problem. 9/10 it is. Once in a while we'd have a bad PCM or something, but that was very rare.

12. dodgegmc1213

Ok thanks for the help ima check it out tomorrow

13. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I doubt its the controls. There should not be power available with the key off. These trucks are known to have ignition switch problems that prevent powering down at times. Sometimes the truck won't shut off, sometimes it's an accessory that won't power down or turn on. Check the switch on the column first.

14. dodgegmc1213

its funny you said this. I forgot to turn the knob off last night got in the truck this morning and everything was fine it stayed off like its suppose to, got to my shop had the air on full blast, turned the truck off, air went off, sat there and waited for it to come back on but it didn't, I turned the key back towards me to put my windows up then turned it back to off and the air came back on I pulled the key out and the air stayed on. I turned the key back to on then back to off, air stopped, turned the key back to me then back to off again, air came back on. :confused:

15. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

how's about using a test light and get a wiring diagram from: your local library see was getting power then figure out why it has power it could be many different things most libraries have alldata at least the ones around here do

16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

This is the exact reason I can't wait to get rid of mine. Always something stupid.

17. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

stupid, I think we are the verge of a breakthrough. What would happen if the truck started up in the middle of the night and went out and did his plow route

18. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

in all seriousness it sounds like a ignition key problem. Keep in mind when you are probing around in there, you can set the air bag off. There might be a utube video on how to replace the switch and you might get a cheap switch at a junk yard. You might be lucky and have it recalled by GM

19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Lmao

Is your key chipped?

20. dodgegmc1213

No chipped key, with in a week or 2 I got to take the truck to my mechanic to replace the steering rod under the hood so ill have them check it out, not trying to mess with anything around the air bag