1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a/c hose assembly freon leaking

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by richard lepech, Aug 20, 2005.

1. richard lepech

richard lepech Junior Member

Question, Can the steel lines from the compressor to the condensor be repaired if it is punctured? I was replacing the battery today and made contact from the battery and the a/c line with the handle of the ratchet. Could immediately hear the freon leaking from the line. Can someone tell me where i can purchase a new a/c hose assembly. 1988 1 ton dump with a 6.2 diesel engine. Thanks everyone

2. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

sure it can be repaired..any qualified welder can repair it..
    and if your any good, you can get a aluminum repair kit at a welding store..
    you use your gas set up..i did it once..
    then have a refrigeration person pull a vacuum and recharge it..r12 is coming down in price everyday..i wouldnt go with the 134..

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

"then have a refrigeration person pull a vacuum and recharge it..r12 is coming down in price everyday..i wouldnt go with the 134.."

R12 is coming down in price?? I thought it was out of production like ten years ago..?? Or is this something new, or a different formulation? Or is is just not available in Canada any more?

You are the a/c contractor... you would know.. ;)

4. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

yes, im in the business..r12 has not been made for some time but theres plenty of it around..i just paid about $13 per lb. delivered..(a 30 lb can).

r12 is soooo much better than 134 and its easier on the system too.

i dont do auto a/c but if i did, i would charge a whole lot less to redo a r12 system, than to do the whole 134 conversion..thats alot of work if you do it right..and i doubt if alot of refrigeration people are doing it right.

when ever doing a/c work, always ask the reiferation guy the price diff. between the two..if you are paying more than $20 per lb. your getting ripped off.
    thats $60 for the average system..not bad considering your getting the stuff the system was designed for..
    one othe small tip..keep the condensing coil(the one in front of the radiator) clean..and dont fall for any crap called r12a..its propane...r12 comes in a white can. refrigerants are color coded.. 134 is in a green can..

5. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i also am a commercial refrigeration service guy i don't no about there being alot of r-12 around we don't hardly ever see it. we do have a couple of 125lb. drums for working on hospital equipment but that it there is a lot better replacements for r-12 then 134a. in the commercial side we use hot shot which is 414b but there is other replacements also. i would not recommend a 134 conversion find a drop in replacement they work better. heck i don't even have 134a in my newer trucks it just doesn't work

7. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

KARL, im with you about the 134..but i use r12 in all my small **** (3lbs or less). i can get r12 all day long, and pay almost as much as for the other stuff..hot shot is a hot subject..im on a refrigeration site that just about everyone gives it a thumbs down..ive used it in a walkin freezer and wish i hadnt.

also my can of 134 is a light green. but i have seen the blue can..

8. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

I'd be a little concern about the 134 being in a light green can. I've been involved in industrial refrigeration equipment for 20 plus years. That light green can should always represent 22. I'd like to see a trade publication indicating that light green is 134A.

9. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

Sta, my freon sits in the back of a pick up truck, with the
    sun beating on it or covered in snow..its a old bottle..im not worried...it says 134 on the bottle..