1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A/C compressor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 06Sierra, Oct 10, 2011.

1. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have a 2006 1500 Sierra with the 5.3. A couple days ago I started getting a squeal, it is either the clutch or the compressor. From what I have read, even if it the clutch I might as well replace the compressor. I know I also would need to replace the orafice and drier. How much of a pain is it to change out? Can I unplug the compressor so I can use defrost and replace it in the spring?

2. 06Sierra

from Maine

Anyone? I unplugged the wires at the drier this morning, heavy frost. Seemed to work fine for the little while until I got to work.

3. damian

damian Senior Member

if it makes noise with the a\c on it is the compressor,if it makes noise withe the a\c off it is the hub and pulley bearing,in any case it is cheaper to replace the compressor with an aftermarket gook unit. dont replace the acumulator unless compressor came apart internally.

4. 06Sierra

from Maine

It seems to do it once the compressor kicks on. I haven't left it on long enough to tell for sure though. Am I going to be fine for the time being with it unplugged? I think it has a separate belt. Should I take that off instead?

5. damian

damian Senior Member

if the worst happened it would just smoke off the belt which only drives the a/c comp,the only danger is the remote possability that the broken a\c belt could knock off the other serp belt. take the belt off to be safe.

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I'd pull the ac belt. Could it be stretched? I'm not sure what year they changed, but there is no tentioner on the newer models, the belt is just stretched over the crank pulley. My 02 Yukon squeals on start up for just a second and then goes away, really doesn't bother me

7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

could also be the ac tensionor they are crap on these trucks, we buy they monthly.

8. 06Sierra

from Maine

Thanks guys. I'll pull the ac belt off as soon as I get a chance.