1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A bunch Q for A s on starting a commercial business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Rustygold89, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Rustygold89

Rustygold89 Junior Member

1. When do lot management companies start hiring people to plow their lot, when should I start contacting these companies?

2. What kind of truck do I need to get in on bidding/dealing with lot management, is a license/experience needed?

3. What is a 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 ton truck, what is better about a bigger truck for commercial plowing, do I need a certain size to get into it. Do I need a certain size plow, certain equipment necesary?

4. Do I need a dump truck for snow removal or do they hire other companies if I don't own one? - Or do I have to rent one and do all of the snow removal also?

Thank you very much,

Mike.

2. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I would say two 21" snowblowers and a ford ranger with a 6' plow should work....and no need for experience or insurance. they are both a waste of time. Maybe grandview will have some good imput as well....oh and dont worry about a dump truck I just remind all clinets that it will melt in the spring!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

From your questions, you ARE NOT ready to plow commercial properties. Start small, like your own driveway. Practice there, then get some driveways for a winter or two. Then get a couple local, small businesses.

Are you serious about "1/4 ton, 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton"? I suppose a Ranger or S10 would qualify as a 1/4 ton. A 1/2 ton usually is about 5-6,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and is usually the smallest truck used for plowing. A 3/4 ton usually around 9-10,000# GVWR and is the most commonly used for commercial plowing. States vary with registration rules and some you can register a 3/4 ton as a non-commercial vehicle, other must be Commercial. A one ton is usually around 12-15,000 # GVWR and is usually favored for heavy commercial and industrial plowing and use with a "Vbox" sander (goes into the bed and holds 2+ tons of sand or salt). There are also "Tailgate" sanders more commonly used with 3/4 tons and hold around 500 to 750 pounds.

Please learn and get experience first. Commercial accounts is where you can get into serious trouble real quick. Business owners have NO tolerance.

4. ATV Plow King

ATV Plow King Senior Member

Couldn't of said it any better.

-Bill

5. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I've only plowed for a few years, started off doing a few driveways and then became a sub. I use a 3/4 ton gmc pickup and a western ultramount plow. Start with a decent truck and plow, you want to be reliable. If I could go back and start over the only thing I would change is getting a 8.6 wide plow instead of 7.6 For me a 7.6 plow on a fullsize is to narrow but this is just me...

6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

My answers are posted above.

I second Mick's answer about experience and where to start

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009