1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a better search function/button

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Grn Mtn, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not exactly a rookie on here, so with regards to the search function, I try to use it. However I have found it to be really lousy, heck sometimes i want to find something i've posted about in the past and if i don't word my search just right it won't find what i'm looking for.

is there a way to use google to search within the forums, at least google will look things up spelled incorrectly and suggest alternatives.

honestly, i can understand why noobs just don't spend more time using the search button; if your trying to learn about something and don't know the key words, your not going to find it.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Been finding the same thing for a long time now. Can't say what happened to the effectiveness of the search feature but it certainly isn't what it once was. Many times it won't even catch a thread that I know the exact phrase I typed myself into a reply in it. Sure would be helpful if we could search our OWN subscribed threads. For one it would save a ton of time and typing of the same replies over and over again to those questions that gets asked over and over again. A link to a previous thread would make it much easier....if that said thread could be found.

Can't even search with a members name anymore so if you don;t have them on your contact list you either have to search for a thread they posted in or you're screwed. Making it tough to get in touch with them. :rolleyes:
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Use the advance button you can narrow it down more.
  4. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

I can check to see if there is anything we can do to enhance the search feature

as for searching for members, as grandview stated, go to "advance search" and you can search by member name and you can narrow your search a bit