1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A 7-12

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by rdl, Jul 5, 2012.

1. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

A 7-12 Extendable Plow

How do you guys like this Cotech 7-12 extendable reversible pusher ?

You might have seen our ad on the banner as well.

7-12.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

How much does it cost.

3. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

With Alo bolt on brackets its about $8,ooo + freight.

You have a few stocking dealers in your area, but not everyone is allowed to sell the product.

4. MIDTOWNPC

What happens when you hit something like a man hole cover on the one side when it's extended? Does it trip ? Same with pull back ? Is the top rubber.

5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

that seems like allot of dough....what is the production vs avalanche/protech/kage?....looks heavy duty

6. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

i can see the transport advanage not having to take the pusher off the tractor to move it on a trailer or over the road ( with the correct permit of course :dizzy:) but id like to see a video of it in action and actually hitting something like a man hole inlet or curb.

7. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I would like to see more pics or a video? But it looks to have a trip edge and floating feet on sides? What sizes do they come in?

8. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

Each section of the plow has two heavy duty adjustable tension compression springs, meaning you have four section that trip independently. The cutting edge on the top is steel and can be replaced with tivar, a hardened plastic.

Have a look at the flickr account I created that contains more photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cotech/sets/72157629501805017/

ext rev spring.jpg

9. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

I work for Cotech, so take this as you wish, I have seen Protech and Avalanche up close and there is nothing wrong with them. If either of them made a BAD plow they would not be in business, but they are different all together, both those companies specialize in straight blades that go onto the front of the bucket and use a rubber cutting edge. Both are reputable brands.

This plow and the others in the extendable family are designed to let you go down the road at 7 feet and open up to 12 feet to plow. The bigger brother to this plow goes from 8 to 14 feet. When you take the versatility into account, and a closed top for back dragging they are a fantastic value.

for more pictures visit

10. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

I just added a few videos for you to go with the pictures on our flickr account.

Yes It has 8 compression springs on 4 trip sections, and floating skid shoes. It comes in a 6 to 10 foot model, a 7 to 12 foot version and the 8 to 14 foot grand daddy which goes on 12 to 20,ooo lbs loaders and backhoes.

All three sizes also come in an open top version.

11. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

Take a look at our flickr account for more photos but I honestly dont have a video of it hitting a man hole. We will take additional videos this year when the snow hits.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  12. SullivanSeptic

Do you gave a website? Does the pusher angle, side to side? Is it a directa hook up to machine? Meaning g with a bucket?

13. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

Yes, our website is
    http://www.cotech.qc.ca/en/

The pusher does have a lateral float option to contour to the ground, but if we added a hydraulic angle some people would find it moving their loader in one direction.

It does not go onto the bucket, it needs to go directly on a loader or sub frame.

14. MIDTOWNPC

why would one choose the expandable pusher over a powered wing plow.

For approx $2500 I can get a 10ft boss pusher

I like the design. I have a use for it. But the cost is really high
    Example my a300 could probably push a 12 ft pusher but I can't get in between cars with that size. For that reason we use a 9 ft pusher with extra long side wings and a pull back top. Steel trip edge direct skid steer mount rubber edge pullback.

Looks nice though Good luck

15. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

I don't think we are comparing apples to apples when we talk about straight plows vs expandables. Here is a plow that might be useful to you, it sells for $3,700 + freight and goes from 6 - 10 feet. It has a steel cutting edge without a trip system.

Have a great day and a great summer !tymusic

P10152311.jpg

16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Steel edge less a trip system???

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen

17. SullivanSeptic

I think it has steel edges and has a trip system. What's wrong with that? Just like sectional has.

18. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

Depends on where you are plowing and what your budget is. Having access to an expandable 6-10 for that price is the reason this plow is one of our most popular items. The owner of the one in the picture has a 18 foot plow and uses this skid steer to get into tight places and clear snow when he doesn't want to use his CAT 918.

19. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

We have six expandables with a trip system and one without a trip. The first one I posted (7-12) does have a trip system. This 6-10 on the skid steer opens up to 10 feet but does not have a trip system.

20. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I really like the concept of these blades, along with the Shoule blades (which this looks shockingly similar to), but still I too have a hard time justifying the cost of these types of blades. Also, the moving parts worry me on these. If I'm running a good old pro-tech rubber edge, and something breaks, grab a sledge hammer, tap it out, and weld it back together. Not so much the case with a lot of these.

On the other hand, that is what I thought of the snow blowers (esp the cost), but now that I own two I am able to easily justify the cost based on my increase in efficiency. Being that a snow blower is a completely separate tool, for a different use, with no comparisons and a pusher has endless types, models, and companies to choose from, it becomes much harder to justify the extra cost.

As far as expandable goes, I do like it better than the "swing-out" foldable designs though. Also, a big advantage I see is fitting in between islands, then expanding and covering sq footage. A big problem I have is sites where the snow needs to be located to one area, I have to get the snow from one big lot, to the other big lot, but I have two sets of islands to get through to bring it there. Anything bigger than 12 feet simply will not work for this, but when pushing the open parts (95% of the lot) its too small and inefficient. I know theres got to be a better way, and this style pusher looks like it. But again, time vs. cost... It just doesn't weigh out here for me.

The biggest question for the OP "rdl" is have you determined a way to calculate gains in efficiency, production rates, or overall machine route capacity by using your model of pusher, over more conventional models? I know if you pushing a 16' pusher, at X rate of speed, you will cover the same ground no matter what brand or type. But other than driving down the road legally, what gains or ROI should I expect to see that would justify me spending twice the money on your pusher, over a conventional pusher?

Also, explain the differences and or benefits this product offers the end user over the very similar design that S Houle offers.

I think it looks nice and I'm not bashing it, I just would be interested to know what the story is there. I buy equipment based on numbers, and facts, not emotions and coolness factor. Its kind of like that "why should I hire you" type of question that any business needs a unique answer to. If theres not a clear answer with reasoning and facts, theres no purpose to anything.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012