1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A 2008 Ford F250 Fx4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by TMLGC, Sep 26, 2014.

1. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

I have never owned a Ford all Chevys. I'm looking at the above vehicle powered by a 5.4. It is for sale at a local Ford dealer and has 54k.

It looks like this was the year of a newer styling switch. Are there any specific problems with this model year that are common problems or known rust areas that become problematic? I know first year runs of any vehicle can have some problems.

How does the tranny in these compare to a 4L80e?

The dealer showed me the repair list they did prior to putting it out on the lot. The following were R/R
    Manifolds and gaskets
    Right lower tie rod
    Drag link
    Sway Bar links
    Transmission lines
    4 wheel brake service
    A bunch of lights were out
    4x4 Hubs frozen whatever that means

It drove great and looks okay but that sounds like a lot of repairs to me for 54k???? I know those detail and recon guys can work wonders.

If anybody wants to comment on this model and year. Will be putting 8' Fisher. Going to look at 2005 Chevy HD tomorrow but this thing drove like a tank felt much bigger.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Normal for that truck.had most of that done on my 02 my 2012has to go in for frozen hubs
  3. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

I will also add according to the carfax the first of two owners traded it in in 2011 with only 4000 miles averaging 1200 miles a year. That seems weird and wonder if the oil was ever changed during the 1st 3 years. No way to tell just a little odd.
  4. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Thank you is this the same tranny that would come with a diesel????
  5. grandview

My 2008 has 24.000 on it
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Probably not. Who were the previous owners? Was it a company trk?
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  7. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Not sure the 1st owner registered it as commercial near Cape Cod in MA, traded it in in 2011 to a Porsche dealership with just over 4000 miles. Shows nothing in service history during this time. 2nd owner listed as personal in NH.one of the service listings prior to sale showed plow wiring removed yet I can't tell if it had a plow. No cuts in any if the bumper. The salesman is telling me it came in with no plow but there is some adhesive on the dash where a controller would go. Not that it would be the end of the world if it had a plow.

Almost too fancy for me loaded with leather bucket seats ect.
  8. dieselss

Maybe it was a plow trk, can you look at the parking light wires behind the lights? Not that it matters if your gunna plow with it.anyway
  9. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

10. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

What would I look for if they have been cut or spliced???
  11. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

There wouldnt be any cuts in the front bumper if there was a plow, that's something I really like about the ford
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  12. dieselss

Repaired wires, and look at the frame for rusted bolt holes or removed paint.
  13. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Very interesting. I ran the vin in google, came across the true car website and it showed the truck in the same dealer lot prior to recon!! with full push plates and fisher controller in the cab.

Salesman was trying to tell me it did not have a plow!! I hate being lied to. To be honest if they kept the truck side stuff and possibly even the plow I would of been very interested but trying to intentionally deceive me what else are you hiding!
  14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Perhaps he was new?

For what its worth, 08 was the only year ford offer a true FX4 package. It probably has a one inch valance under the bumper that wouldn't need to be cut. If so, its a early build.
  15. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

He said he had been doing this for 30 years then said at one point he checked with the garage and nobody saw any evidence of a plow.

I guess I should not be deterred I did like the truck and the way it drove just not the fast talking guys in suits pushing it on me. I will be going to the GM dealer in the morning to look at the 2005 as I'm feeling less enthuastuc about thus now, but not writing it off yet I guess.
  16. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

a few things i noticed. continental tires. they suck. so the first thing you will be looking at is 4 new tires.
    why are there 3 black letter and one white letter tires? they could not even mount the tires properly.
    why is the side of the driver seat tore up? that is way too much wear and tear for only 54k miles.
    and electric shift 4 wheel drive?? run away. that is a problem waiting to happen.
    price is too high. it may be a deal at 18k, but 22 is way to high.
  17. grandview

Looks like the valance was taken off.
  18. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I sold my 11 diesel xlt with 68000 miles for 27500 so I'd say it's high. I wouldn't buy a 5.4 too many issues from manifold leaks to spark plugs. The gm motor is less problematic IMO.
  19. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Price is def to high. I think i paid 24 for my 2011. If your budget is that high I would look at newer ones.
  20. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Thank you all. Wish I had more to look at. Only other viable option was a 2005 Chevy HD with 79k, body and interior were immaculate but the rear part of the frame and cross member was starting to get that thick flakey pitted looking rust. They won't budge from 19,100 and even agree the underside is showing its age.

Wait and see I guess.

Both drove really nice.

I don't believe new is an option. I need extended cab and stripped out those are mid 30s. I originally started out thinking 15-17 range but all those are over 10 years old over 100k or beat. I'd like to find a dealer serviced vehicle with a small warranty that I can continue to get service from.

GM dealer said that GM is possibly working on a leasing program for 3/4 tons but 3-4 months out at the earliest if it happens at all.