1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

_Any experience with Shields Facility Maint.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Omega, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Omega

Omega Member

Hey folks just got an email from: Shields Facilities Maintenance

5 Twosome Drive

Moorestown, NJ 08057

looking for snow contractors in the Delmarva area. Anybody have positive or negative experience post it up :)
  2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

There are other threads about them, they are new, didn't see any good or bad, but sometimes just lean towards bad because you don't know their history. usm/sms assist / ferrandino & sons are all way up there on the "we'll screw you over any chance we get after you do all the work" companies. Most guys on here won't work for them, a few may still because they've done properties for a long time for them.

In general, you can probably do one or two sites for management companies and be fine, but handle lots or any high dollar value in sites when they're paying you $20,000 or $90,000 payments instead of $500 payments, and you're at the top of their hit lists to shave money off to increase their own profits.
  3. Omega

Omega Member

Thanks man, I got screwed by one company last yr....not even a national at that so was just checking around
  4. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Any updates I just got an email from them today, gut says run they are a national but thought I'd ask
  5. yardlines

yardlines Junior Member

I did mowing and landscape maintenance for a sheetz in Maryland for them. I had really good luck. We had to redo a bed that was all tore up. We gave them an estimate and they have to ok in about a day to do it. We got paid net 60 on the dot I believe. From my experience with them I would actually highly recommend. I was very nervous at first but ended up loving them. Hope you have the same experience of you work with them. We also mowed and mulched all summer. The bed redo was an add on that I bid high and was surprised that they said ok with no problem on.
  6. yardlines

yardlines Junior Member

And I just noticed how old this thread is. But, hopefully my experience can help someone in the future.
  7. JDosch

JDosch Senior Member
    from Joliet

This is an old thread. However, I can provide some insight. I was contacted to plow a list of speedway gas stations. First of all, they will try to tell you what they will pay. For example, they say they will pay $100 to plow and salt a diesel super station with a truck stop. Then, if you are lucky enough to get them to agree to your prices for, as they say "just this first storm", then they will have you running all around and changing your route 10 times to accommodate their so called "emergencies". Then you will have to wait 45 days to get paid, and even then they try to short change you. Also, they usually call people the day before or the day of a storm, because their plow guy, "fell through" at the last minute. Go figure. I would be more than happy to discuss this further if you would like more information.
  8. 1HOTCAT

1HOTCAT Junior Member

I also did a half dozen Speedways in the Detroit area. The price I was given was way to low. I rewrote the pricing sheet with a 50% increase. It got approved, but had to wait the 60 days to get paid. The best thing when doing 24 hour gas station, is to block off the entrances to them, so idiots do not try to park behind you when you are in reverse. This year the package was sent out to me, and I told them to double the prices this year and I would do them as they are a PITA to do with all the filler lids you have to cone off, or they will end up in the snow pile leaving a hole in the ground above the tank. I have not heard back from them after the price had to be doubled this year
  9. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

The Owner of Shields is the former owner of US Maintenance. He sold USM 7 years ago and started this company 2 years ago. It is based in NJ not far from his old place.

They are very small but likely mostly harmless.
  10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Like a brown recluse spider?
    bartolini likes this.