1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9ft MM1 very slow up,left,right, any Ideas

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bigfoot1, Jan 15, 2007.

1. bigfoot1

bigfoot1 Member

I just got done plowing for the first time with this plow and am disappointed at how slow it is. Its very slow in all directions It wont pick up a stack of snow or angel if there is a big pile in front of it. If i am taking a big heavy run with it angeled slightly it will angel all the way unless i hold the stick and when i put it up to go to the next lot It will have dropped a 1/2 inch by the time i get there.. Is there a valve that needs to be adjusted or replaced?? If so where is it and can i do it my self this is my first fisher and I don't know to much about it!! It is a 9ft MM1 2 plug with a joy stick controller and a electric pump. Any help is appreciated

2. zippy1

zippy1 Junior Member

I have the 8' HD and have the same problem. The blade is slow to rise and if I try to move the blade when it is barely in the snow pile it will not budge. Seems very weak to me. This is supposed to be a heavy duty plow built for the rigors of commercial snow removal. I am begining to wonder.

3. bigfoot1

bigfoot1 Member

Yea mine is a HD to and cant even get out of its own way my old cable drive western can pick up a solid pile of ice and snow and this thing cant pick up squat I am not impressed so i hope its a clogged filter or some thing Other wise it is useless if i cant push a pile over a parking block!!:realmad:

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

ive got an 8ft mm1 HD insta-act and this thing will push my truck backwards if i angled it against a rock, tons of power behind it. It lifts fairly quickly too..... I think its something wrong with yours.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For those reacting slowly - first check the fluid level and quality/contamination. Next check the battery. Quick check is if the lights dim while raising the plow. Then check electrical connections for corrosion and fit.

6. Al DeMaio

Al DeMaio Junior Member

An ALWAYS check the pump pressure. In the early days of MM1 plows and even in the later days when rookies installed them. A big mistake was made by not grounding directly to the battery and directly to the motor (not the white metal base) but right to the side of the motor. It may have hurt the pump. You may want to inspect the pump and filter, clean or replace the filter and evacuate all the oil and refill with new.

7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

These 2 poster are right. But what might also help is going over to the Fisher fluids. and changing out your filter

8. bigfoot1

bigfoot1 Member

Where is the filter? And does the fluid make that much of a difference?

9. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

The filter is attached to the pump. on the SHEP units the pump is located directly under the motor and the filter is located on the front side. The Insta Act units the filter is located under the pump, the pump is under the valve body in the reservoir. The Fisher oil does make a huge difference when installed in a properly functioning unit. What type of hyd unit do you have? And how old is it? Check your pump preasure it should be 1700 psi.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  10. bigfoot1

bigfoot1 Member

I don't have the instaact unit And i just filled the pump with regular ATF fluid A month ago! do you think thats the problem. I dont know to much about the plow as i bought it used It seems to be in good condition

11. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

From you description you have a SHEP hydraulic unit was last sold new in 1998.
    ATF will work fine but the Fisher oil has been a better performer.
    The first thing I would check is the pump pressure, it should be approx 1700 psi, if it is not, your pump and filter will most likely need to be replaced.

12. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah If I bought a used plow I would change out the fluids and filter. Then go over to insta-act fluid.

13. bigfoot1

bigfoot1 Member

How do i test the pump pressure? and how much does a pump and filter cost??