1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9ft fisher MM help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jsonc78, Dec 10, 2010.

1. jsonc78

jsonc78 Junior Member
    from CT

Got a 9ft fisher MM from my caretaker up in VT. Limped it back to CT chained up because it was very tempermental and eventually stopped working. Once back, I pulled the motor and pump apart and found a lot of sludge in the bottom of the housing and the pump filter was completely clogged with metal shavings (plow is atleast 8-10yrs old). Took everything apart and cleaned everything. Reassembled, mounted, and filled with new fisher hydro fluid... flushed angle arms of old fluid and reconnected. I crossed my fingers and activated the switch, angled right, and the plow flew like lightning to the right. Tried angling left and nothing... Tried raising the plow and nothing. Motor works and im assuming pump is still working... I've researched tremendously on this site and read many forums to test coils and cartridges which I will do in the morning... Anyone else experience similar symptoms and/or have any input to possible fix ideas???

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Those metal shavings came from somewhere. They probably have made it into the angling block or some of the other slime has. Anyone of the solenoid valves or releif valves coule be clogged or hung up. Best bet is to take the valves out and flush out as much as you can. Also disconnect the hoses and swing the blade by hand to push all the fluid and grime out of the cylinders.

3. jsonc78

jsonc78 Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks for the reply... Upon dismantling everything, I cleaned EVERYTHING... As mentioned in my original post, I did disconnect the angling arm hoses and flushed both sides twice with new fluid. I also took out all of the cartridges and cleaned them. I've been plowing for years with no mechanical issues so this is all new to me. I also have 2 spare units (housing, pump, motors, lift ram) in which I used one as a dummy to learn where and what everything was before I tackled the one on the plow itself. Outside of it being a coil or cartridge, I'm not sure what it could be. I was reading about the poppets??? I'm going to resume my diagnosis in the morning and test the coils for magnetism. If each one charges, I'm assuming it's probably a faulty cartridge. I guess we will see what else I can come up with. It's def. a learning experience which is great should something happen on the job... Thanks for the input...

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure what pump you have but I think it is a SEHP. Make sure you have voltage to the coil(s) you are commanding before you go any further. If you do not have voltage it could be a wiring or connector plug/joystick issue. See diagram link in my signature to hep you with what should power what coil upon joystick movement.
    T.J.

5. jsonc78

jsonc78 Junior Member
    from CT

Thx TJ... Thats my plan for tomorrow morning as I'll have someone to help so I can test the connections... I'll keep you guys posted and once again-thx for the help!

6. jsonc78

jsonc78 Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks guys!!! This morning I cleaned out all of the wiring harnesses and tested each coil for magnetism... Had it on all 3 so I knew it was one of the cartridges... Replaced them with spares from an old setup and it wouldnt work... Swapped them out with another set of spares I had and BAM--plow works better than new... Spent the day lubricating, changing pins, aligning headlights, replacing bulbs, and greasing all of the electrical connections...

Once again, and as a newbie to this site, I appreciate all your help and input... Now it's time for happy plowing...

Merry Xmas...