1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9ft blade weight capacity question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JimMac, Jan 7, 2009.

1. JimMac

JimMac Junior Member
    from MA

Hi all;
    I'm buying a 2008 F250 (gvw 9600) Deisel SRW with a 9 foot blade. Western offers a 9 foot blade with end wings that you can take off / put on with no tools. Will the end wings create too much/too heavy snow for this setup? I'm really impressed with the Western 9 foot contractor blade for this reason, but worry about the total amount of weight. Any info would be appreciated. I already own (2) 9 foot fisher hd's.Thanks.JimMac.
  2. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

I have a 9ft Western Pro Plus with the western wings that i have on the front of my F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Diesel. Not sure of the front gvw at the moment but i have never had a problem. When i have my wings on people say it looks like a bulldozer pushing snow.
  3. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

no problemo
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

id say no problem lifting it... well depends on your springs too on the 250, my 350s only sag down 3/4" when the boss plows are raised.

Pushing snow with a 9 footer plus wings.. well if its heavy like in NJ areas, i dont think my F350s even loaded up well would like it much if the snow was heavy weight or had a lot of accumulation. With a 250 your a little more limited on how much weight you'd have in the back too. But after having the new 9 footer Boss on my F350 and the 8'2" V XT, i should have gotten the 9'2" XT for the other f350..

I think all our 1 tons and bigger will get 9footers or larger, any 3/4s would get 8 to 9s and our f150s run "heavy" for their setup 7'6" Boss plows.

ERCKWD Member

I have an 08' 250 with 5600lb spring coils, previously had an 04' with leafs, let me tell you I am not impressed with the 08' spring coils. I have an 8' Fisher and it sags much more than the 04' did, to the point where I am currently looking into putting 6500lb springs with new shocks. Check your front GVW and if you are putting a back drag blade on it I would consider not getting the 9', unless mods are made. Not sure if this helps you, but good luck.
  6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

According to western's specs you can put the 9' Ultra mount pro plus plow on this truck.
    The contractor grade weighs 837lbs
    I don't know what the wings weigh but that has to be added to the above numbers.

The front weight limits are the same for either a F250 or 350 the difference is weight capacity for the rear. Depending on the configuration of the truck regular,super or crew cab and lenght of bed will depend on how much weight you need to put in the bed for ballast. Somewhere around 750lbs.
  7. Pert Snow

Pert Snow Member

what kind of plow is that a western and is it poly or steel? looks amazing payup
  8. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Does your truck not have the snow plow prep package?

My 07 with the snow plow prep came with 6000lb coils......I upgraded to 7000lb coils though :D

Front end weight of my truck with the plow is in the 5700-5800lb range.
  9. topgunn

topgunn Junior Member

I put a 9" pro Boss on my gmc 3500 last year

I added timbrens to the front this year what a difference.

One slight problem is the timbrens seem to make it walk like in 4x4 on dry pavement even when in 2x4
  10. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

got an 04 with the 5200 front leafs, running the 8'6" PRO PLUS no problems. i sag 1 inch, but those coils are a lot weaker than the leafs. id say good to go but your 1000lbs heavier probably with the diesel engine. there is advantages to having the little v8
  11. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Yep the diesel is 500-600lbs heavier than the V8 I believe.
    Diesel is approx 475lbs heavier than the V10.

Front end of my diesel w/o the plow is 4700-4800lbs.
  12. ERCKWD

ERCKWD Member

DCSpecial: Does your truck have the plow prep.

Yes it does have the plow prep, I went to the dealer and checked the books, also there is a difference between the front of the 250 and the 350 on the 08's according to Ford. The 350's have 6000 lb front coils.