1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99TJ --- 7.4 Suburbanite

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Clint, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Clint

Clint Member

This setup has certainly been getting a workout here in New England. I only got stuck
    twice today, got too much snow/sleet between the blade and jeep.:dizzy:

I've never used a plow before, and I'm definitly learning quick so far this season..:nod:

Here's a picture, try to get some action shots soon:gunsfiring:

Clint
    New Hampshire --- USA:waving:
    99 Wrangler, Western Suburbanite 7.4

2007_Dec03sm2b.jpg

2. DuttonLandscape

DuttonLandscape Junior Member

I don't understand how did you get stuck

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

He put the plow on the OTHER side of a pile of snow.

4. Clint

Clint Member

I slide into a culvert that I knew was there...and wedge the jeep accross the ditch...:dizzy:
    Plow frame got hung up on one side. I winched out easily without any damage, but I
    learned to give myself a little more room between the driveway edge and the culvert drop
    off!!! Another learning expierience :D

5. Clint

Clint Member

Heavy snow wedged between the plow and front of jeep....will get you stuck:nono:

Another learning expierence:drinkup:

6. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

that is a beautiful set up. i sure miss mine on some of the drives i have that are tight. I managed to get my new trucks plow hung up on the snowpile as well. as i pushed into it the plow rode up and put me on top of the pile instead of pushing into it. it happens.

[​IMG]

7. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

Off subject question..... Does any of your scrape lock feature work on your plows? I seem to be having problem with mine as well as a few other prople in here.

8. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I could tell a difference when I had it on or off but it wans't great, but did help....I never did adjust it from factory though. I know the guy that now owns my jeep was holding the down button to long and it would always go into float on him. I explained to let go of the button as soon as it hits the ground and it would lock....he is much happier now.

9. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

Suburbanite

so overall you would say that the surburbanite is good plow and your happy with its performance

10. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

yes I would say that was an accurate statement. one other thing i notice along with others commented about was how fast it was going left to right...way faster than any other plow I have ever seen. literaly it would go from full left to full right in under 2 seconds. It was hard to get it to center when it was unloaded.....it was very fast. then once it got cold and you had a load of snow in front of it it slowed down and was perfect. I guess it was part of it's design to make it lighter.....like a high speed pump instead of high power maybe. which worked though cus loaded up it still had plenty of power to angle. I have no other 'lightweight small SUV' plows to compare it to, but yes overall I was very satisfied with it and it did everything i asked of it.

little story. a friend of mine was out of town once when it snowed and I called to see if he needed me to plow anything so he didn't have to come back early. he had a church he was worried about and i said I would do it for him. he said you think your plow and jeep will handle it....I said of course it will. so i went and plowed for him. he checked it out the next day when he got back and was amazed. said he didn't expect my lightweight plow to scrape or stack that as well as it did, and it did as good a job as his 7.5' western unimount would.

11. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

so is a 21'' blade height pretty descent for a lightweight plow....and is suburanite good at stacking snow ?

12. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

I am impressed with how well it stacks the snow, better than i thought atleast.I was told by a tech guy over at western that if you are having problems with the scrape lock feature and do a lot of back dragging to flip the blade around.

13. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

what do you mean flip the blade around......cant you just ge a back bladding blade

14. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

well the blade is curved so it rolled the snow pretty well, but there were times I hit piles that were taller than the blade and just knocked out the bottom and the top came over the blade. it was never really a problem unless you were jsut trying to move big piles all day and slammed into them...LOL. having said that I can also say the plow held more snow in front of it than I expected so it works very well. also it stacked very well.

15. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

do you think a 2003 ford explorer sport trac would be a good plow truck if i put i western suburbanite on it

16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

For what type of plowing?

17. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I want to put a plow on my '99 Jeep Cherokee and I would want to plow my church's lot. How big was the lot you plowed? How much did you guys pay for your Suburbanites?

18. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

like 10 houses.. maybe a couple parking lots

19. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

the church lot I did is kind of odd. it is more of a U driveway with a square lot on the side and a road that goes behind the church. here I found a satelite image of it. see the upside down U in the middle...thats it.
    http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&X=1675&Y=23720&Z=16&W=1

I also do the lot at our salon which there is parking room for about a dozen cars in front and that many in back as well with an alley on the side that I use to push all the snow from the front to the back.....no place to put it in front.

I actually did the streets in my subdivision with my suburbanite as well. just once cuz the guy that does them came and went down each street once jsut to open them then he left and was going to come back later to clean up.....I was having fun so I did cleanup on a few streets pushing the sides back. @20MPH a suburbanite(or any plow) will throw a good size wall of snow!!

I paid $3381 installed in 05.

I think it would be just fine for that. <~~~quite possibly the shortest answer I have given this entire thread!!

20. Clint

Clint Member

Anyone here run a Suburbanite for a few years of heavy use? How well does the blade edge hold up? I notice wear toward the center of the blade on mine already (3 months old), and was wondering if this in normal wear & tear? I plow only my 600 foot hardpack drive way.

Clint