1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

!993 F-350 Starting problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mikey_3776, Oct 28, 2005.

1. mikey_3776

mikey_3776 Junior Member

I have been having a problem with my 7.3L. Lately sometimes when I go to start it I wait for the "wait to start" light goes out and I tun the key but it seems like it has a dead battery. Nothing happens.

I can leave the key on and jump the 2 large terminals on the starter selinoid and it fires right up.

Also I have noticed when the "wait to start" light goes out I have started sometimes hearing a clicking sound.

I changed the starter selinoid and the problem is still happening. I have checked the batteries and they are fine.

Any ideas???

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I would say it is your ignition switch under your steering column.
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Yup. Ignition switch. :nod:
  4. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

I have never seen an ign switch go bad in these trucks.....
    However, what I do see is bad solenoid ,but you already changed that ,and
    bad cables. I would take a DVM Digital Volt Meter and check all your cables for voltage drop. I would suspect it is the cable from the starter to the solenoid.
    good luck
  5. mikey_3776

mikey_3776 Junior Member

What about the clicking...

Thanks for the help!!!

Well I have been trying all day to get the truck to duplicate the not starting problem however I have had no success. I guess it is one of those things when you want it to it will never do it. Any way I will keep trying.

However I noticed that about half the time at random when I go to start it I hear a very loud clicking coming from under the hood. When this happens the volt meter is dropping out to below 8.

Is this normal? Are these 2 separate problems or possibly the same?

Thanks, Mike
  6. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

the clicking is the glo-plugs cycling on/off.
    check your cables,and batt. connections,also there is another solenoid on the starter itself.
    love my old IDI,192,000 and she starts on the second crank everytime
    P.S-check out oilburners.net under the ford truck section,good stuff :D
  7. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

you definately have a cable problem...
    Get in there and wiggle them all around. You will find the culprit.
  8. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

the clicking is the starter trying to engage or the solenoid telling the starter to crank.
    There are 2 power wires going to the starter 1 is directly from the battery ,and the other is a small 12 or 14 ga wire from the solenoid. When you turn the key the solenoid/relay sends power to the small wire. the other cable is hot all the time. once the starter recieves the 12v refrence signal from the solenoid that baby should crank......
    hope this helps.