1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Yukon 1500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wingnut, Dec 18, 2001.

1. wingnut

wingnut Junior Member

Gentlemen, I simply would like to know if I will have touble putting a 7.5 foot meyer on my 99 GMC Yukon. It will be used for One parking lot only not for contracting. The lot probably holds 75-100 cars and we here in new jersey get about 40-65 inches of snow annually. Will I screw up my truck? Any input is appreciated.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

my opinion is that youi would have no problem whatsoever

7.5 blade is a good standard for that size truck

it will serve your purposes excellent
  3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I would go with an 8' snoway plow on that truck, it will be able to handle the weight of a snoway plow and give you a wider swat when plowing
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

is it a 4x4, will the lot be occupied during time of plowing?
  5. wingnut

wingnut Junior Member

is 4 by lot will be empty when plowed
  6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Wingnut, I had a 94 2 door Yukon i used to plow my
    bars.....It was great ...turned on a dime ..never a
    brakedown.....Rear defroster sucked tho.
    Would of bought a new one in 97 but they were
    made in Mexico...So back to good ol American made
    pickup trucks !!!!!!.................Geo
  7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Isn't the '99 the "old" body style on the Yukon?

That thing will plow just fine. The rear view won't be to great, but the truck will function just like a 88-98 GM PU, which was a fine plow truck.

Those "old" ones were a little nicer for plowing than the new LD because the front end was higher and the torsion bars adjustable and you could swap out the torsion bars for the 3/4 or 1 ton if you really needed it.
  8. mowahman

mowahman Junior Member

those "old" ones are nicer to plow with. I can agree !! I spent most of today in my 1974 K-10 moving slush and putting down calcuim, salt/sand mix. I'd like one of those "new " ones, but, the old ones are paid for, keep running, and I'm partial to the "trained iron". I have a '74 K-10, 87 K-25 and 87 F-350 (I know, it ain't a bowtie, but it was a deal I couldn't walk away from). The '74 has antique plates on it, gets used everyday as a work truck, and is the oldest working truck in Town. We get many compliments on the Antique plates and comments about howmuch work it takes to keep up the "old " trucks.
  9. Kent Lawns

lol, it's sure is a matter of perspective.

I know guys who still call the '73-'87 GM the "new body style."

~Welcome to the forum!
  10. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Kent Lawns

I have a new style 2000 Tahoe 4x4 & it has adjustable torison bars & can be switch with the other bars also. I turned the adjuster bolts 3 turns to level out the ride BTW it has the same sticker and the cross frame that tells you it's OK to adjust when installing addons to the truck just like the 1 on my 2001 2500HD 4x4 ext.cab has. ;)
  11. Kent Lawns

I know they're adjustable, I did not know you could interchange the LD and HD torsion bars.
    (And maybe you don't need to.)
  12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Swap bars?

I help swap 1/2 ton for 3/4 ton bars last yr. for a neighbor's so he could move his 44' boat with a front hitch.
  13. Kent Lawns

My head is cocked like a puppy when he hears a high wistle.
  14. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

sorry, I'll stop blowing the wistle. Brent
  15. DEISL

DEISL Member

ever see a 90 full size blazer w/ a 8.5 meyer poly-eth on it..holla......no problemo dude..have a ball.
  16. DEISL

DEISL Member

when your runnin by the ounce, every second counts.
  17. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I have to jump in on this one. Small world. I have actually plowed that lot that you want to use the Yukon for, & there is no way it can handle it. I think you should have me take over for the other contractor that's been doing it for years, since I was called in to do it for them when they didn't show up. You were thrilled that we were able to take some time out of our schedule to get a couple of trucks in there ASAP to get your business open in a timely fashion during a unique situation you had. And we didn't charge the usual last minute callers 150% mark up fee. You will feel much better giving me the money than worrying about whether you're going to hurt that nice truck. ;)

The real fun with that paragraph is that one of the trucks we used that day was my 93 Full Size Blazer (not sure what SUV name it has, I can't keep up. But I think its what they are now calling a Yukon)

And another FYI: In this part of NJ our average yearly snowfall total is 23.9", according to the NWS which is based on a little over 50 years of recordkeeping. My records from the last 7 years indicate that they know what they are talking about LOL.
  18. DEISL

DEISL Member

id post a pix,but this site will not handle the amount of bytes,possibly there is some other way to post it.......??????????
  19. LawnSmith

LawnSmith Member

right on! i have the same truck! i put the 3/4 ton torsion bars and rear spring packs on it to help out. oh and by the way, thanks again for turning me on to Trynex SnowEx spreaders.
  20. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Wingnut....I agree with BRL

Seriously, why would you want to ruin that sweet 99 Yukon... Let BRL take it over for you.

I much prefer pushin snow with older iron.... 73 - 90 Bowties for me... well and GMC too.

Have an 86 K10 with a 7.5 Fisher that I plow with... and just bought a project truck 86 GMC DRW K35 C&C Gonna most likely put a 9' Fisher and a flatbed dump and SS sander on it when its all done being rebuilt and painted.

I also have a 90 Full size Blazer with 48 k on it and it looks brand spanking new... Its never gonna see a plow. Thats my toy!

Remember BRL my commisson ... 15 % JK ;)