1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Vs 01 dodge cummings

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Wesley's Lawn, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

There are two dodges im looking at, ones a 99 and the other is an 01. Both are 2500 cummings with the same miles and are both sports, just ones a reg cab and the others a ext. Im just wondering what the main differences are between thoes years like drive train, motor, ect?

Thanks Wes

2. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

are they autos or stick? If so the 01 could be a high output, which would entail a 6 speed and the motor would be rated at 305hp. other than that, they would be normal output and there would be only minor differences between the two. they both have the same type of injection system, both 24valve, auto trans are the same, and maybe some interior differences. Couple of friends of mine have 01s, but I don't know anyone right off hand that has a 99

3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Want to put a plow on it?
    I would take the newer model just based on wear and aging of the vehicle even with the same mileage.
    Not an expert on the G2 Ram's but my guess is they are the same.
    You can try www.dodgetalk.com excellent site when it comes to Dodge vehicles.

4. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Both autos, but the 99 the guy put in a after market turbo, 4" Exhaust, 100 horse injectors, edge juice box with attitude. I wouldnt mind getting a newer model but don't know if it would be in my price range.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  5. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

i'd go with the 01, since it hasn't been modified, possibly abused and ran the sh**t out of

6. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

X2!
    Sounds like you need a new tranny soon on the 99!
    The additional torque puts a lot of stress on the tranny.

7. onebadplowtruck

onebadplowtruck Junior Member

Id build the tranny before i installed a plow on any cummins automatic that old anyhow..... that being said but the 99 with the extra $3000+ in parts on it build a trans u know wont blow up and you will be good to go for years!!!!

8. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Go with the x-Cab, When your are out streight plowing for hours, I's nice to strech out here and there.

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

And make sure you never spell Cummins with a G again!

10. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

The the 01 has a hy-35 turbo which will limit you a little if you do any mods. Put some cash aside to upgrade trans. At least a torque convertor and valve body upgrade.