1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 v-10 question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I'm going to be in the market for a truck in the next few weeks, it will be used for plowing in the winter and daily driving any other time. I will be pulling a 26 ft travel trailer 2 or 3 times a year

I found a 99 extended cab f-250 v-10 auto 4x4 with 140,000 miles at a used car lot and I ran the car fax and its clean

The truck appears to be in good shape no major dents or dings and it has brand new BFG A/T on it

I have not heard it run yet, but for there asking price of $8500 Would that be a good deal, even if I have to do some work to it if needed Like exhaust studs and such

I would have a plow installed since there isn't one on there now (Idea's?):D
    Thanks in advance

2. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

V-10 will be just fine. I had a 99' with V-10 before I was smart enough to get a diesel and it pulled my skidloader and 34' travel trailer very well. To be honest though I think you could find a better deal or get them down to about 7K. My buddy just bought a 99' crewcab it was spotless, and I mean spotless with 80K miles on it with a V-10 for $8900

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

My buddy just bought a 1999 F350 extended cab lariat V10 w/ 53000 miles for $8,000.

You should be able to get a much better price! Start at 5k and go from there!

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Walk away a few times and they will come down on price. The v10 is like poison to a sale right now. The 140K is another leverage point.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I had the same truck. Ran a Sno-Way V on mine and loved it. Price is high tho.

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

First of all, why would you want a V10 for 360 day a year driving, and for towing only 5 days? Thats nuts. Second of all, the price is way too high. Get a diesel if you are concerned with towing, but def not a V10 for 3-5 days a year.....

7. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

My brother in law picked up a 2000 crew v-10 with 36000 for six grand.

mchenry 004.jpg

8. hydro_37

from iowa

The V-10 gets just as good if not better MPG's then the 5.4

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

That is a completely false statement my friend. I have owned and driven both. You cant possibly honestly think that a V8 and a V10 engine get the same gas mileage......

10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I fully agree, I have a V10 there a good truck

11. ducatirider944

from Iowa

I would to beg to differ as well, I have owned both and the 5.4 got about .5-1 mpg better, hook a trailer to the back or put a 1000# in the back and the V-10 SMOKES a 5.4! 5.4's are for 1/2 tons. get a V-10, Your check book will thank you when plowing and pulling

12. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Holy crap! nice find, your brother in law stole that truck, he didn't by it!

13. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i wouldnt get the 5.4L engine. they dont have the grunt that the v-10 offers. the v-10 is a better engine with less problems. and the miles difference is going to be very min, as long as you dont have a crazy heavy foot. get the v-10, gas is dropping anyways.

14. TEX

TEX Senior Member

the V-10's are good and pull very well. I would not be happy with the 140K at that price.

15. hydro_37

from iowa

If you consider 1/2 a MPG "better" then go for it. :dizzy: I will GLADLY give up the "maybe" 1 gallon difference for the power gains.

16. TEX

TEX Senior Member

you have to work that 5.4 so hard the mpg goes to crap. i have a friend who has a f250 crew 4x4 5.4 and it really has to work to move that heavy truck and a trailer (light bumper pull trailer)

17. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

just picked up an 02 F350 with 64k for $8,500. you should be able to get that truck for 5-6k. I have 3 V10's and they are by far better for just everyday driving, plowing, and pulling than the 5.4

18. bosslover

bosslover Member

i have a v-10 and i get 14 mpgs and i have talked to a couple people that have 5.4s and they hate them and get horrible millage dont waste your time with a ford mistake like the 5.4 in a 3/4 ton get a v-10 or a diesel but that is a high price. the v-10s have so much snot its not even funny they pull hard and are a hell of a truck

19. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I have been looking around and these v-10 are all over $11,000 and they all have 120,000+ miles

I would think they would be alot cheaper, but not here in se mi

When I get ready to buy a truck, I am going to go with the v-10, but these prices are killing me, when you guys are saying that $8500 is high. Where else should i look besides craigslist and autotrader??

20. hydro_37

from iowa

Check a dealers lot. They are giving the V-10's away. May check Ebay too.