1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 tj....

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Maxs01b5, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Maxs01b5

Maxs01b5 Junior Member
    from Buffalo

im looking into purchasing a 1999 tj with 83,700 miles automatic 4cyl 2.5. should i be looking for a 6cyl instead? is the four powerful enough?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Lots of people plow with the 4 Cyl The 4 Cyl is the only motor that the plow manufacturers list for plowing (because of weight).

That said
    Ive never owned a 4 Cyl, Ive plowed for 23 years with 5 different Jeep all are 6 Cyl.
  3. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

A 2.5L will be fine if you plow with the T-case in 4-low.

In 4-hi, the 6 is a MUCH better choice. In addition, the wind drag caused by the plow while driving on the road will be more easily overcome with the 6-cyl. No real reason to go with a 2.5 anyway (unless the price is MUCH lower), gas mileage is about the same.
  4. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Having plowed with both 4's and 6's both are capable of making you money. My 4cyl 4sp's are just as good as my 6 auto. I never plow in 4lo. As we speak I am looking for another 6 but in a 5sp.....but that just me.

As for price 4's will always be lower apples to apples.
    Gas milage, my 90/94 4cyl. both get around 12mpg and my 97 6cyl. gets 16mpg...highway
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  5. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

My Jeep owners manual says they do not recommend you plow snow
    with a 4 cyl automatic. It's says if you want to
    plow with a 4 (they recommend) the manual transmission.
    I am not trying to dispute anyones claims, just repeating what is
    written in my (1997) OM.

I've been plowing for 21 years with two Jeeps, one
    was a 6 cyl CJ and my current 6 cyl TJ.
  6. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I've heard the same....
  7. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

My 1992 2.5 manual plows just fine in 4H. I do use 4L when in tight spots, or going down a steep driveway, for control purposes. The problem with 4L is reverse. You can't get anywhere, the gearing is too low. The gearing (4.10) on the 4 cylinder manual takes care of any power issues. As long as the tires are not too big (compared to stock), that gearing is fine. BTW, I get high teens on highway for mileage (w/o plow) and mid teens overall.