1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Superduty Questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by beanz27, Jan 26, 2016.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So two weeks ago I bought a 99 F250 XLT ext cab short box 5.4 with 118k on it- got a deal at $1200 and drove it 2 hours home. Couple questions that Google couldn't answer:

Was there a plow prep package available, and how do I tell if it has it?

Tow package, looks like factory tow package had a larger alternator-how can I tell if its factory? Truck has an overdrive auto and I'm assuming 3.73 gears.

Last question-truck runs fine 98% of the time then occasionally it starts running like its missing on 2 or more cylinders, the 2 rear passenger side coil packs are different from the other 6. I've heard that the back 2 packs need replacing more than the other 6, could my intermittent problem be caused by coil packs on their way out? Btw plugs were just replaced with factory motorcraft platinums.

One final question, what's the typical problems to look out for on it?

2. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

Who changed the plugs? They have very specific torque requirements. The plugs blowing out of the engine is the number one headache on these engines. Also you should try to stick with the motorcraft coil packs if you can. Congrats on the truck.

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I personally did. I was told by my mechanic the plugs in this truck aren't the ones that had so many issues. Any other things? Is there a vin check to see tow package etc?

4. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

These are definitely the heads that spit out plugs. It can be avoided by being very specific about the torque. The other things to look at are the exhaust manifold studs. Are any broken off yet?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

THOSE ARE NOT THE YEARS THAT THE PLUGS BLEW OUT. Especially 1999.

6. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

Side note. Check out http://www.ford-trucks.com. Lots of good info about your new truck I believe they have a vin decoder on that site as well

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  7. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

Dude just do a quick Google search

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't think the plug issue started till 04

9. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

The early modular engines had only 4 threads holding the plugs this was an issue in both the 5.4 and the 6.8 engines it was resolved in early 2003 with the new 8 thread heads. A new problem arose though when they started using the 2 piece plugs ( they kept breaking) but that was easy to fix with new 1 piece plug.

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

One of my plugs blew out on my 02 Superduty. I bought the full kit from Time sert to do it right.
    Issues: I have done every one of these issues on my 02 superduty 5.4L.
    Coil packs
    Ball Joints
    Blowing spark plugs
    Sway bar bushing clunk noise-use energy susp. bushings
    Exhaust Manifold bolts/manifolds-this is the funnest job
    Blown Trans.
    Rotting bed above wheel wells-replaced with custom build dump bed

Other than that it is a good truck-LOL. And I have 79k on it.
    T.J.

11. PHS79

PHS79 Member

99 thru 03 5.4L and 6.8L would spit spark plugs out, 04+ 5.4L the plugs break coming out. Both versions of the motors have some issues with cracking exhaust manifolds and/or studs.

I just had a local shop install a new exhaust manifold and studs in my 04 this summer at 66000 miles, $550 per side. He said a plug job is $300 and an extra $50 per broken plug.

12. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

That depends on what "plug issue" one is talking about. As others have said, the early modular motors (4.6, 5.4 & 6.8 liter) starting in 1997 were prone to blowing plugs out of the heads. Ford finally fixed that problem in 2001, but in 2004 came out with 3 valve heads for most of the modular motors. These 3V heads created a new problem - plugs that wouldn't come out. (I'll bet some Ford Engineer said, "Hell, at least they're not blowing out.") This problem was cured by a design change in 2008.

13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Mind if I ask how much ball joints set you back? Thinking I may have to do them on this truck, won't know till its on the hoist.

I'll check out the ford forum.