1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Speedcaster 2 price/problems?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BeachGuy, Sep 17, 2003.

1. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Junior Member
    from CT

Hi guys,
    I have a quick question. I just called abourt a Fisher Speedcaster 2 that was advertised locally. He is asking 1000 OBO. I have been considering getting a sander this year. I don't sand everytime so it has been cost prohibitive in the past. He said he used it a couple of seasons and didn't use it for a season. He repainted it every year and says it runs right now. His reason for selling is he is moving to Florida. It also comes with all the mounting hardware for ford superduty (my truck :).

1. Any known problems to look for?
    2. Any input on the price if in good shape?

I just haven't had time to research this but I don't want to miss a good deal

Thanks
    Paul

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

My Fisher dealer is selling Fisher SpeedCaster 2 spreader for $2700 installed. So for $1000 for two seasons of usage, sounds fair to me.

3. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Junior Member
    from CT

SOLD

Ok Well I went and looked at it. It was in the lot of a local business. Icalled the owner back and I am buying it for $700 tomorrow morning:D . He has an outlet on his truck so we can run it tomorrow ..that would be the only deal breaker (didnt work). I feel like I am stealing it

4. wxmn6

I think you did great. I was going to suggest you to try to make a deal at price a bit lower than $1000 because we had above average seasons during the '00-'01 and '02-'03, so the spreader may have seen more usage than you may think. For $700, I think it is a great deal. Good luck with that spreader! :)

5. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Junior Member
    from CT

I will let you know how I make out tomorrow morning. Thanks for the input.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

that sounds like a good deal.I paid about $2200 for mine and i had to install it.Not to much to really go wrong the belt,motor or gears. It will good for you from what you described.I have had mine for atleast 5 years or so and still running good.:D

7. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Junior Member
    from CT

Picked up the sander this morning... $700 cash. Everything seems to be there.(even the manual). We plugged it in direct (no controller). Worked fine. So I guess the controller might be the only thing that is messed up. It only has the burst or continous on. Is there a variable switch? Is it worth while?

8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Congratulations!! :nod: & welcome to more payup

"It only has the burst or continous on. Is there a variable switch? Is it worth while?"

I've had mine for 5 or 6 seasons. When I bought it my dealer told me the only things he ever had to fix on them was people smashing them into things, and the variable speed controllers. So he gave me the controller that you have and I have never had a problem with it, or the way it spreads. They may have improved the variable control since then, but I have never been using it & had any reason to desire a variable speed in any of the situations I have encountered. So you will probably be fine with the one you have. If I tried a variable speed, maybe it would be so incredible that I would desire one, but in this case, ignorance is bliss. ;) Good luck with a great deal!

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I wouldn't be without the variable speed controller.I love it.We had problmes with a lot of the Western controllers on some of our older units failing every few years.Our supplier switched to using Fisher controllers,and haven't had a problem since.They should be the same controller,maybe they have just updated something.

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have the variable controler in mine and it's been fine I like it because when i sanding near car or narrow places i can set the speed lower so it will not hit ,instead of going out and bringing the guards in.

11. wxmn6

Also, it seems that Fisher SpeedCaster 2 spreader cost $500 more than Western ProFlow 2. I guess the Fisher has higher quality manufacturing in their products which would explain the higher price. You get what you pay for. ;)

12. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Junior Member
    from CT

After a quick run thru of the sander it needs a couple of minor things. 1 new idler pulley and 2 new drive belts. The old ones seem in fair condition. I would rather use them for spares and have new one on for the winter. That all cost about 30-40 dollars:) Not bad. Now maybe this weekend I can install the mount and wiring.

13. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Beach guy,you got a great deal! excellent find! Godd luck with it

14. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Junior Member
    from CT

Well I installed the mount over the weekend. I was missing the 2 bumper spacer but I had some washers that I used as a substitute. The hardest part was removing the old hitch:( . If I had it to do again I would make sure I had a friend to help hold the hitch in place while I bolted it on. All I have left is to run the wiring but it is pouring out. So that will have to wait :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys
    Paul