1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Silverado HD75

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by zr900, Dec 12, 2011.

1. zr900

zr900 Junior Member

First time poster.

I have a 99 silverado 1500 ext cab sb and am looking at putting on a plow. Is there any issue in going with the HD plow on a half ton? From the specs it is lighter than the VMD.

The dealer wants $3600 OTD for either the MD or HD 75.

Thanks

Scott

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go HD if its the same price.

3. blue22580

blue22580 Junior Member

I actually am trying to decide between the MD75 & the HD 75 for my 99 Silverado 1500 as well. The HD will cost me $4,097 while the MD will cost $3,367. I plow mostly residential with 2 small commercial lots.

Anyone have any opinion on the MD vs HD for this truck?

4. jdmcsnow

jdmcsnow Junior Member

Happy Camper

Hello,

I have a 2000 Siverado LT 1500 Ext Cab. with MD75. I do residential and light commercial with a 300lb snow blower in the back. I cranked the torsion bars to make up for the squat in the front and it works fine. They also make spring spacer kits as another option but cost more. MD plow weighs ALOT less than the HD, I think you would need front end beefage to run a HD on this truck. Mine works great but you have to stay on top of your routes. Heavy wet snow will fold your trip springs if its deep. I've done 2' of fresh low moisture no problem. For my short drives and small parking lots I love it. I only lose 8mpg with the install. Was getting 21 without any hardware, now get 13 with and 16/17 without (all the hardware and loss of my front air dam cause I'm too lazy to put in back on in the summer). If you are going to do heavy HD work I would get a 3/4 ton truck for a HD plow or be very careful how you plow with it!! Go slow, no ramming etc.
    Johnny

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  5. blue22580

blue22580 Junior Member

The dealer thinks that I am better off with the HD because it's stronger but I am torn. My biggest issue with the MD is the 24" height and if it wasn't for that, I probably would have purchased the MD already.

6. jdmcsnow

jdmcsnow Junior Member

Value

Yes, a better value for sure, but 300lb more on a 1500? ouch! My truck was a rocket before I ruined it with the MD, even with the blade off I still can tell it's sluggish with all that hardware weight. I can only imagine the HD, she aint gonna like it! I have to drive my truck in the summer too, if I was gonna park it I would have tried the HD. I put the blade on snowmobile roller skids I bought at Costco for 10 bucks and roll the whole assembly around in my garage by myself. You will only be able to drop the HD where it lies, unless you keep a few small gorillas handy.
    JD

7. jdmcsnow

jdmcsnow Junior Member

Snow in RI?

Also, how much does it snow in RI. I'm in Vail, CO, home of some quality dumps and haven't had an issue with 24" boiling over the top, ....yet?

8. blue22580

blue22580 Junior Member

Your truck is sluggish with the 60-80lbs worth of hardware on it?

9. jdmcsnow

jdmcsnow Junior Member

Lathargic?

Well, alright, maybe that's an exaggeration but I can tell its there, especially with the front air dam gone) The plow itself, even with the torsion bars cranked, squats about 1/2 or so when raised and dropped. I would guess, unless you have a heavy duty front end, that your truck will squat like a dog sh#t#ing razor blades with that HD on it. My truck is a LT and sat like a stinkbug before the plow was installed. Before the torsion bar fix it would hang up in minor dips, the under support bars hang pretty low and easily bottomed out on mine before the bar fix. Even with, I still gotta be cool in bad areas. My truck really isn't made for plowing snow, ext cab/frame trucks of 2000 era aren't. However, if they are the same price (mine was 3600 installed) I would for sure get the HD and if you don't like it you can sell it for a profit and put the MD on. Are you leaving the front end as is or having some work done to it to help the HD? Please post back after you install it and do some HD work, maybe I will upgrade!
    JD

10. zr900

zr900 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies.

Is 3600 installed a good price for the HD75?

What i don't understand is the snow dog dealer said he would rather see me use the MD 75 or the VMD? Are the weights off on the brochure, because it says the the VMD is heavier than the HD.

11. blue22580

blue22580 Junior Member

$3600 installed is a great price...the cheapest quote I got was $4363 installed

12. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

I agree $3600 is a great price for the HD, but it's a little high for the MD IMO. I know the VMD is marketed for " 1/2 ton plow prepped trucks", but the weight is a little more than the HD so I don't understand either.

I have an MD 75 on my 1999 F150 supercab and it handles it fine, but I don't think I would want another 300 pounds out there.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  13. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

I thinks so, i paid $3999 last year for mine.

14. plowguy43

Let me put it this way, I plowed for 3 years with an 03 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with a Fisher Minute Mount 1 7'6" RD plow. The plow was weighing in at 600+lbs and you would certainly feel it but the truck handled it fine. Cranked the Tbars and was good to go. On your 1500 you will be fine. Yes the 1500 Tbars are a little softer but it will certainly hold the plow fine and it will be a much better built plow regardless of what you plan on doing with it.

Attached Files:

15. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

Last year I had a '97 ext 1500 and struggled with the same issue. I ended up buying the HD75 and road most of the winter with it. I knew I would be bumping up to a large vehicle and taking on acounts. Mid-winter I changed to a 2500 HD. Didn't realizee how much the 1500 was struggling with the HD75 until I had it on the 2500. What a difference! I think the 1500 can handle it, you just need to be a little prudent when running around town (speed, corning, bumps). I had turned up my torsion bars pretty good and would recommend Timbrens. I would also recommend adding the gussets on the A Arms that B&B talks about. I am sure he has a set that he can sell you. I actually did that on the 2500 as a precaution.

Take a look at the weight between the Snow Dogg and other plows. Snow Dogg uses quite a bit of steel (hence the robust nature of the Snow Dogg), but it can make for some wear and tear on a truck. It is even rumored that Snow Dogg down plays their weights! Good Luck. I am sure you will love either plow.

16. blue22580

blue22580 Junior Member

I ended up going with the MD75 on my 99 Silverado. Here are some photos...

DSC01778.JPG

DSC01779.JPG

DSC01782.JPG

17. jdmcsnow

jdmcsnow Junior Member

Nice

That is beautiful man, brings a tear to my eye!!:mechanic:

18. plowguy43

Nice looking setup. I'm sure it'll treat you well!

19. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

Looks Good! Looks like it carries the weight no problem.

20. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a Fisher guy but that last pic looks like the plow is saying

"Watch out snow, Imma eachu"