1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 silverado , hard starting hot

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blublzr, Oct 8, 2007.

1. blublzr

blublzr Member

hello,
    i may have asked this question before , but have been away from the site for a while. my 99 silverado has 128,000 miles on it . it has recently had the fuel pump and filter replaced . it seems that after it runs for a while and then is shut off , and then restarted when its hot , its very hard to get started. any ideas what the problem might be . could it be the fuel pressure regulator.? plus and wires are relatively new as well .

wil :dizzy:

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

FPR in my 2000 6.0 did this...same symptoms.

3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

You might try and replace the water temp sensor....should be near/around the thermostat. They go bad and send bad readings to the computer and flood it or send the wrong mix to the engine and make it not start.

I don't think it will throw a code either.......mine never did.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You need to get a fuel pressure gage on it and check the FP right before and during the hot restart. Anything else done before checking the FP is just wasted time and money. If you find the FP isn't within spec, then you'll then need to do some furture diagnosis on the fuel system. The FP regulator is a pretty common failure part on the LS1 motors but verify the FP before replacing it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

What do you mean by hard starting?? Does it crank slower than usual or just not catch and turn over?

6. blublzr

blublzr Member

reply to scott L / 99 Silverado hard starting hot

the engine cranks at normal speed . to me it doesnt seem to be a starter/alternator/battery issue.

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

You can also just pull the vacuum line off the side of the FPR. If gas comes out then the membrane has ruptured and you need a new regulator...if gas doesn't come out your regulator is probably not the issue.

8. blublzr

blublzr Member

99 Silverado Hard Starting Hot

this is in reponse to MAYHEM'S thread. a small amount of gas did come out of the FPR when i removed the vacuum line. Okay next question , if its bad , i sea about 3 or 4 parts listed for this aftermarket , and 1 gm part. the aftermarket ones range from $50-$200 and the GM part appears to be around $75.00 what do i go with on this ??? thanks for the info

wil :)

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OK, if you got gas on the vacuum side of the regulator then it's definitely bad, but just for future reference, just because you may not have gas on the vacuum side of the diapram, doesn't mean that the reg is not defective and causing the problem as they can break the spring inside and cause the same kind of starting issues. They go bad all the time and never put gas on the vacuum side of the diapram...that's why you use the fuel pressure test to check for a bad regulator.

As to buying a replacement regulator, don't waste you time on the aftermarket ones, they're very inconsistent. Go with the GM reg.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  10. blublzr

blublzr Member

99 Silverado Hard Starting Hot

thanks for all the good info , i will make the repair this weekend

wil :)