1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 silverado 2500 plow prep?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sweetride, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Sweetride

Sweetride Junior Member

How do I know if it has the "plow prep" package? What did that consist of? Its a 6.0/auto. I am installing a second battery to help out some. Thanks guys

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

if you have a good dealer you can have them run the vin. you could also ck the build codes in the glove box slicker to a website and see if it has.
    if your looking for more electricity then add a 2nd batt as you said and go with a bigger alt and wiring to and from the alt and also ground the alt with the same gauge wire as your output

3. Sweetride

Sweetride Junior Member

Thank you. I'll ask around and see if someone can run the VIN for me. I have a bunch of 4 guage and 00 from old stereo systems when I was young hanging around in the basement, so I will put that to good use finally. I will check the alt and see what size it is and upgrade it if it cannot handle the load.

4. dieselss

Usually just by looking at it you won't be able to tell. It's either a 104 or 120? Something like that

5. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

was there even a snow plow prep package I have an 02 HD and was wondering that.

6. dieselss

Yea there should have been one

7. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

look for VYU in your glove box. a WHILE back i posted a "master build code" list. it will tell you every single thing in your truck. Down to gear ratios, interior option packages, everything

8. Sweetride

Sweetride Junior Member

wahoo, its there! thank you. now to find that master list. i know my truck has had a few things swapped in the 200k and i dont know how many owners since it was new.

9. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I wonder if mine has it. I think it does since I have factory dual batteries and front skid plates, but who knows lol.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Search "big three" for essential wiring upgrades. Dual batteries and bigger alternators are wasted efforts if the wiring is subpar.

11. Sweetride

Sweetride Junior Member

I don't have the dual batteries from the factory, so I don't think that is an indication of the plow package but more of the motor?

12. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

That's what I thought but the batteries are isolated. I had the main battery die and couldn't crank it even though the aux battery was good so I had to use jumper cables.

Maybe there's something I'm missing?

13. Sweetride

Sweetride Junior Member

hmm. thats weird. maybe it only came with dual batteries if you got the big block or diesel with the package?

14. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Guess so. I'll check later to see if I have that code. Just thought it was weird that it had skid plates if it didn't have the plow package but we will see.

15. dieselss

No. If you look at the wiring it goes to a solenoid and that only operates at low voltage. If your main batt dies there's no way your aux batt to operate. I have always gotten rid of the factory stuff like that

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Camper battery......