1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 silverado 2500 4wd trouble

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by needmoresnow, Dec 30, 2012.

1. needmoresnow

needmoresnow Member

my 4wd went out when I was plowing and the code said it was the transfer case shift motor, however I removed the motor and shifted it in to 4 hi manually and on the lift all 4 wheels spun however when I went to finish plowing I was not in 4wd . is this because the motor holds it in place or do I have bigger problems? thanks

2. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

I dont know if the t-case motor holds in or not but the encoder on the motor may not be telling to engage the front axle accuator. Encoders and shift motors are common problems from what i read. Check the front axle accuator for proper operation also. My problem on my 99 1500 was burned out clutch pack in the transfercase. T-case slipping not turning front driveshaft when under a load. Check your t-case fluid also. Mine was black & smellled like burnt clutch or really hot brake pads. I had to replace transfercase.

3. needmoresnow

needmoresnow Member

Ok thanks for the info!

4. needmoresnow

needmoresnow Member

Ok thanks for the info