1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 sierra 2500 overheating

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by welder350fd, Jan 13, 2009.

1. welder350fd

welder350fd Junior Member

i have a problem with my truck overheating. its a 1999 gmc sierra 2500 6.0 liter ext cab 6 1/2ft bed. i have a 7 1/2 ft fisher plow on it modified with a meyers pump. ill be driving my truck with plow attached and about 3-4 inches off the ground to allow for optimum airflow. i dont go over 40mph and drive very carefully to not put to much stress on the motor/tranny. the last time it overheated on me i only drove about 8-10 miles and then i saw the temp gauge rise and smelt it overheating. so i stopped and let the truck sit running for a minute untill i noticed it wasnt dropping, so i just shut the truck off and let it cool down before attempting to drive home again. it seems that it overheats to easily. i dont drive fast or far and this keeps happening. ive seen other trucks with plows on up all the way and driving on the main roads at like 40-55mph and they arent overheating. im not sure what to do now because some places i plow are about 10-15 miles away and i need this to stop.

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

There are several threads on here with guys having the same issue. It is your fan clutch. GM kinda forgot to put the HD fan clutch on some of their plow prep equipped trucks. I dont have the exact part number off hand, but I know Autozone has one and your GM dealer. But it is almost 99% guaranteed to be your problem. My truck has never overheated with the plow up even at freeway speeds

3. welder350fd

even though my truck doesnt have the plow prep package?

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Then the HD fan clutch certainly isn't there....go put it in and you'll be fine!

5. welder350fd

thanks a lot guys =)

6. te snow

te snow Member

There is are aftermarket products that you can purchase at Pep Boys or posibly other auto parts stores that you pour into your resivoir/raditor and it will lower that coolant tempature. I f I remember the name of the product I will repost.