1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Ranger

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by raylesk, Oct 6, 2003.

1. raylesk

raylesk Junior Member

Anyone using a late Ranger for plowing? If so any suggestions?
    I have a 3.0 v6 automatic and would like to use it as a backup.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

It will work with a small plow.A Snoway would be a good choice due to the lightweight and downpressure for backdragging.Add a tranny cooler if you don't already have one.

3. Damien2

Damien2 Junior Member
    from vt

I wouldnt advise plowing with any truck that is below a 250/2500 series.You will destroy that ranger.Those trucks are not designed for plowing what so ever .Trust me, you will damage it.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

They may not plow as well,or carry as much weight as a bigger truck,but you will not destroy it.I don't know where you get your information from.The Ranger with a Snoway makes a nice little combo.

5. Damien2

Damien2 Junior Member
    from vt

I had a 97 Ranger, plowed with it, basically destroyed the truck.Front end got banged up, alignment, ect.I was advised not to put a plow on it and plow with it, well I went against it and found out the hard way.When a manufacturer says" Do not plow with this vehicle" They mean it.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well some of that must have been the driver,because they will hold up OK with a properly sized plow.

I have had a few,and no major problems.We have several customers who plow with them,and they have done just fine as well.

He just wants to use it as a backup.With a Snoway,some Timbrens,and a tranny cooler,it will be fine.

7. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

I agree with wyldman.
    i have one in the area and he does quite nicely with it. Does a few private drives. I can't remember what he has on it for a plow. He definately stays ahead of the storm though. Like anything else, a little knowledge and some common sense will do you well.

8. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

The 3.0l lacks power though, so watch the deep snow. It would make a good driveway truck. Especially if it is short cab.

9. Damien2

Damien2 Junior Member
    from vt

Rangers are very fun to drive in the snow.

10. joebigfun

joebigfun Banned

11. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Why do you have such a chip on your shoulder. Do you really want to talk about your setup, or are you trying to prove something and make people mad at you.

AS we were talking about before you interupted.......little trucks are good for driveways, but they aren't cut out to do lots or deep snow. I have owned Rangers with the 3l and the 4l. The 4l had a lot more power. It was actually pretty tough for its size. The 3l was a slug though. Maybe its just that mine had high miles....I think it would be good for a backup for driveways. I might be worried if you have large lots.

12. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Ranger

I had a 1991 Ranger with the 4.0. I didn't plow with it, but I did put a "brush gaurd" on it and thought I was going to have to get a new front end. Well, not really, but they arn't the best for the job, but hell, I was helped out once by a Yamaha grizzly when my truck went down. Back ups are priceless, no matter what it is.

13. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Mine was a 2001 4x4 edge 4l. I didn't plow with it, but it pulled a lot and was awesome in the snow.

14. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

My daily driver commute truck is a 3.0 Ranger. My best advice to you would be to find something else to plow with. The 3.0 really doesn't have any guts at all. I often find my foot to the floor trying to accelerate. It is sad that this engine is soooo lacking in the power department because otherwise the Rangers are terrific little trucks.

If I were to ever buy another Ranger id go 4.0 all the way.

Jay

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

It continues to amaze me that people think they need huge HP to move snow. You need traction and momentum.

I have plowed heavier snow with a Toyota 4cyl then With a Ford PSD.

I love when these threads come up. Anyone that thinks a small truck can't push should talk to Alan. He runs 8ft plows on s-10s in Vermont. You don't get much harder plowing then that.

16. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I can't argue with you on the little truck pushing larger amounts of snow issue. My current plow truck, Cherokee, can plow with the best of them. But I still feel that the 3.0 doesn't have what it takes to plow with. It feels like a 4 cylinder.

Very pokey and not consistent at all in the power department.

Jay

17. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Jay

I think there might be 4 bangers with more power than the 3.0l.
    :confused: pumpkin:

18. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

Horse Power is never an issue when plowing in 4WL!!!!!!!!

19. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I don't know how you can say power is never an issue. I bet you my cummins can push a bigger pile than my ranger anyday. Now how does power do nothing. Maybe for the type of plowing that your ranger has done, power isn't an issue, but I know that in a big lot with thick slush, that ranger would bog down, and probably die.

20. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would bet either truck would break traction and start spinning before one bogged down.