1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 ram battery/alternator?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Barrakudaman, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Barrakudaman

Barrakudaman Member

I have a 99 dodge ram 2500hd. 5.9 gas. I put my 99' blizzard 810 on the truck. We have not gotten any snow to plow in wisconsin yet and i havnt really gotten to test the plow out on this truck. MY question is: Should my truck have dual batteries and or a high output alternator? When i lift the plow my battery voltage goes way down and the check guages light comes on. It may just need a new battery or alternator. but I figured I would ask what you guys thought first. The truck has no problem starting easy with the current setup. Thanks in advanceussmileyflag
  2. shep28

shep28 Member

I got a 200amp alt for next to nothing from custom electric. http://www.customelectricohio.com/ They service ambulances, etc. with alts. Give them a call. I got it for about $160 I think. I also installed a second batt. Rigged up a batt holder with some metal L shaped brackets from lowes. Connected the pos. from the truck batt to the second batt. and the neg. from the second batt. to the truck frame. I also installed a beefier wire from the alt. to the batt. I used a quick disconnect to connect the pos. wire from the second batt. to the truck wire. I unhook it when I don't use the plow. I also make sure that I am moving when I lift the plow, etc. Reverse keeps the revs up.
  3. Barrakudaman

Barrakudaman Member

ok. thanks for the info
  4. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

custom electric is good stuff theyre 5 min from my house we go there all the time good prices. my alternator died on me i bought one at advance that was wrong took it back and had mine rebuilt at custom for like half the cost of new one