1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Ram 2500 Help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jjfinn, Sep 20, 2009.

1. jjfinn

jjfinn Member

I have a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 gas motor. When driving over 40 mph I get what I would call a pinging in the motor, and then it will puff black smoke and then clear drive okay for a little bit then do it all over again. I have put a ton of money into the truck and nothing has helped. I bought the truck and was running 89octane and have gone to 92 with no success. Please if anyone can tell me anything please please help.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

have you checks the intake plentum gasket??? my truck used to ping when i ran crappy gas through it, like if i went to a valero or something. now i only go to mobel and it runs fine.
  3. jjfinn

jjfinn Member

Just to give an update. This morning upon starting the truck I got a puff of blue smoke, happens everytime after the pinging and black smoke puffs. I am lost with the truck :realmad:. Have been to 3 different repair shops tell them the plenum and they never check it. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

its more then likely the plentum gasket. my truck was blowing blue smoke whe mine when out.
  5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Just sell it to me real cheap ;) really though I have no idea whats wrong with it
  6. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

My old '97 with the 5.9 V8 had the same issue. I got it within 2 days of a dealer taking it in trade. They didn't want to work on it- so I got a good deal. It was the intake manifold gasket. A few bucks spent a different dealer and it was good to go. I sold that truck two years ago with 230k miles on it- never did any other engine work...
  7. jjfinn

jjfinn Member

Wild Bill you helped with with a couple issues I had Last year too. One more question.. Would that intake be the reason I am going thru a quart of oil every two days? If so how do I convince the repair shop to do the work when they swear its something different. They are telling me I am having major motor issues and I need to replace it. I dont see the truck needed a new motor not running all that bad..
  8. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

What makes them think the motor needs major work? Did they do a leakdown test? Is it losing oil pressure? If the cylinders are sealing, the rings are probably OK. I would put money on the intake plenum gasket. Just look down the throttle body. If you see any oil the gasket is junk. Or, if the is a vacuum in the crankcase the gasket is likely junk. To test this I take off the oil filler cap and put a thin paper towel or even a Kleenex over the hole. If it sucks it in slightly, you have a vacuum. If these tests are negative, change the gasket anyways, it is still junk! Do not use the factory gasket, after 5 revisions, it is still junk. Use the one from Hughes. It is an excellent product and will not leak. If you don't do the work yourself, take it to someone who is familiar with the job. Apparently the people you are dealing with are not. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have some decent tools, you can do this yourself.

These gaskets were junk the day they were installed at the factory. Did I mention they are junk?

whoever you are taking it to is likely trying to rob you. take it to a def shop and have em look at the gasket.
  10. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

When my gasket went I was going through oil every few days as well. Its a very common problem with Dodge's.
  11. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

I know this is old but,remember the Intake gasket on the 5.2 and 5.9 is both between the heads and manifold AND there is one underneath the plenum on the bottom of the manifold itself.If one or all of those is bad enough to draw air(vacuum leak) then it will ping.Usually the Dodge intake leak will show up more when the motor warm/hot then get worse over time.I still have a set of used 5.2 heads in the garage from a guy who was told he had a cracked valve seat causing his ping/oil consumption problem.I had new gaskets in it and him down the road in about 3 hours.The front accessory mount bracket and water pump hose are a pain in the arse,not scary or hard just stubborn after that piece of cake.You dont even have to remove the distributor to pull the intake.
  12. jjfinn

jjfinn Member

I just wanna say thanks to all you guys that helped me out! I got my truck fixed today! Turned out to be the upper and lower gaskets were shot! I really really appreciate all the help the truck runs better now then it ever did:bluebounc

told ya lol