1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'99 Ram 1500 Front End Problems

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ibspuds, Jan 13, 2007.

1. ibspuds

ibspuds Junior Member

Here's the problem, For the last 3 years I have had to replace the front drive shaft u-joints, as well as replace the hub because it broke at the u-joint, and just today the hub, axle shaft, and u-joint will need to be replaced because they all broke at the u-joint. The truck is stock with no modifications (body lift or over-sized tires). I am not hard on it while pushing snow or otherwise abusive. My question is, could my problem be that I need to install Timbrens or replace my springs or better yet do both or am I missing something. I know 3/4 ton would be the preferred vehicle of choice but it is not practical being that I only push at the most 3-5 locations. Thank in advance to all that reply!

2. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I would like to see pics of drive line angles with and with out plow if possible :)

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What size plow are you running on this truck?

4. ibspuds

ibspuds Junior Member

I am using a Western 7'6" Pro-Plow w/ wings. I will try to post pics. of the damage in the morning. Thank You!

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Not to bash you at all:nono: But you answered all of your questions all ready.

You say you plow 3 to 5 locations?
    You could only plow 1 location what difference does that make?
    How big are they are is more important.
    Why the 3 to 5 locations?

It look like it is time for a 3/4 ton.:nod:
    Or as a temp fix get some #38 & #39 coils for that front end. There easy to install, you can do it your self with hand tools. With air tools and you can do the job in under an hr.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Adding timbrens, ballast, or heavier springs won't change the amount of load on the front suspension, and drive line. This is one of the reasons for using a 3/4 ton truck for plowing particularly if you're pushing a 7.5' plow commercial plow with the added push load of wings. Western doesn't recommend more then a 7.5 mid-weight plow.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: I agree, but the 1/2 ton crowd does not want to hear that there truck is not up to the challenge.

At least ibspuds is not one of these guys that says,
    "I've been plowing for years with my 1/2 ton with no problems!"

At this point he has to fix it, so he could sell it, to get the 3/4 ton.

8. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

What challenge ? do you mean commercial parking lots ? Or road ways ? I mean you guys with 3/4 tons have this idea we 1/2 ton guys are unable to plow..LMAO..

So tell me how it is these 2 trucks ..Have never had drive train issues ? And from 02 untill current I have earned easily 30k with them..

Current
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/diehrd/PC141426.jpg

02 to 06 truck
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/diehrd/Pic93blazer.jpg

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The challenge of doing anything more than looking good cruising the boulevards and getting groceries.

Your right! A 3/4 is not enough truck ether, a swr 3500 would be a better choice.

Yes, people insist on plowing with a 1/2 ton. They think because it looks like a 3/4 ton it must be built as strong.

The bottom line is some 1/2 tons are set up to be used as personal plow vehicles.
    Meaning they are intended for the home owner who plows there own drive with a very light weight plow.

10. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

So should I take what I know has made me a lot of money,,throw it away and go buy a truck because you say a 1/2 ton cant plow ? ? ? this is a tough situation..Maybe I should go back and refund the 30k I earned as well..

Nope I cant take someones advice that has been disproved by my own actions..You can keep the 3/4 ton tucks..I'll stay with the heated seats and mirrors in my grocery getter.

Although I can not disagree a 3/4 ton is built stronger I strongly disagree a 1/2 ton truck is not a perfectly good truck for residential driveways..If ya do lots,roadways and salt ok then screw 3/4 go 1 ton .. But for light duty driveways a 3/4 ton is over kill and way way under equipped with creature comforts . . . :nod:

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Do you think heated leather seats & heated mirrors and all the other options are only found on 1/2 tons?

Next, most MFG's do not recommend you plow with there 1/2 tons. Don't listen to me.

12. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I figure it like this when my front end fell apart on my 89 3500 4x4, it's going to happen to all of them.
    So this time I'm saving money on the Truck, Insurance, Plates, Gas. So when it happens again I'll have money to invest in the front end. Besides there are a lot of heavy duty aftermarket parts for my truck.

I have watch people plow with all kinds of funky little vehicles, S10, Durangos, Dakotas, Rangers, Escapes, F150's, Expeditions, Dodges in General. :) lol

If they can, I can do it with a half ton Chevy.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Nope, thats not what I said:nono:

Some, mostly older and a few new 1/2 tons are set up for a light duty personal plowing.

So you made a few bucks with your1/2 ton truck. Well I've used a Jeep yj to plow with also and made $$ with it too, so what!.
    What I,ve found is that unless it is a very tight drive, a 3/4 ton or bigger truck is a better choice for plowing .

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I:salute: ibspuds for being honest.

Most 1/2 ton plowers will tell you that they have been plowing for years with NO problems!!

I have to wonder how much they really plow?

Then there are the guys that get a 3500 and put the biggest heaviest plow on it they can find and then wonder why the front end is wearing out so fast.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  15. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Thats my point I do 30 driveways..Single wide 30 to 60 feet long..1 or 2 passes with truck and i am done,,WHY would I use a 3/4 ton for that? Thats like buying a back hoe to dig dirt to plant Tomatoes LMAO..

And it is not like I have a tack hammer to drive fasteners into concrete :D

Light duty plowing , light duty truck..Makes sense to me

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I thought you were driving a spike with a tack hammer!!!!:waving:
    roflmao....

Buy more truck than you need.
    The right tool for the job.

I wish I could stay here and debate this with you but you know what they say.

some thing, some thing, you just annoy the 1/2 ton owner and wasting your time??....

17. ibspuds

ibspuds Junior Member

Pictures of damage

Here's the pictures of the damage, as well as a shot of the undamaged side and pics of plow in both up and down position. I measured the height difference in the up and down position and it is a little over 1", what I don't know is the height differece with the plow off the truck. Combined to push my properties it would take about 1 1/2 hours of work time, given a 2" snow. The properties are level asphalt or concrete areas and are very easy to manuver thru. No one has yet to answer my question, given the repeat damage to my truck over the last 3 years will 38/39 springs combined with Timbrens help my situation or at least slow it down dramatically. Another thing I know there are heavy duty u-joints and I plan to install them, but are there any other after market shafts or hubs that I could install? Again, I realize that 3/4 Ton is the preferred vehicle of choice but given my situation of limited use I don't think this justifies selling my payed in full 1/2 and purchasing a monthly payment for a 3/4. Thank you again in advance for all your help and expertise.

Truck Pics 002a.jpg

Truck Pics 004a.jpg

Truck Pics 005a.jpg

Truck Pics 006a.jpg

18. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Do you plow in 4 wheel drive all the time?
    Most of the time i'm in 2wd, unless I get stuck.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Increasing the load capacity of your front suspension only increases the load capacity of your front suspension. It does not increase the strength nor durability of the frame or steering or drive-line components, it could in fact effect them inversely by allowing stress loads greater then they where designed to withstand.

20. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I broke my axle shaft u-joints after just going up a couple of tire sizes. It seems to be a weak spot in the 1500 drivetrain. I would recommend going to a more heavy duty axle shaft and u-joint set up. I am sure there is a company that makes a more heavy duty set up then stock.

A search on-line would find what you are looking for.

I would also agree with the statement that it would help to plow in 2WD until you need the 4WD.