1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 k3500 heater core replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by joe_padavano, Nov 15, 2005.

1. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

Am I reading the factory service manual correctly? To replace the heater core in my 99 K3500 (old body) I need to evacuate the A/C and disconnect the refrigerant lines to drop the heater box?

By the way, am I the only one who finds newer factory service manuals to be poorly written and often incorrect? Especially as compared to the manuals from the 60s and 70s? For example, the FSM for my 99 doesn't even tell you how to correctly remove the front hubs and rotors on the K3500. And what's with the crappy line drawings as opposed to photographs?

Sorry for the rant...

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

You could check out www.alldatadiy.com. They are generally good. However, they do get their info from the factory. So, some things are plain wrong.

I had to replace a simple front axel seal on the passenger side. Aside from taking of everything down to the half axel - they noted to use a slid hammer to remove the shaft ..... Let me tell you it's not possible with the c-clip in place :) should have mentioned that!

according to the manual on my '97 K3500 the heater core requires the steering shaft to be removed and the gauge panel.

3. neetchracer

neetchracer Junior Member

You will need to remove the dash...........or at least get it away from the heater box. Evac a/c, and remove the box from the inside firewall. With the box on the ground you can take apart and replace heater core. Then reassemble. Have fun!

4. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

Thanks. It's the "evac A/C" part that's the pain in the ...