1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 jeep chereokee but general gear lube/oil for diffs question

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by WhitePlowr, Sep 7, 2011.

1. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

I'm gonna change the fluid in my diffs on my 99 cherokee and 02 grand , and 2 wranglers. first question do they still use 75w-90 or is it 80w-90 now? thats what it looks like to me. all the manuals say use 75w-140 if you are towing but how about plowing????? should you switch to 75w-140 for plowing?????and can you just up grade all the diffs to that even if you arent plowing or towing?? because i was thinking to buy it in a larger quantity.

2. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

Do you have a limited slip? If you do use the additive. I use either Valvoline or Mobil 1 full synthetic. I use the 75w-90 Mobil 1 most of the time for plowing and towing and have no issues even at -34 temps like we hit last winter. I also offroad my XJ pretty hard come summer and have a lunch box locker in the front and a selectable ARB locker in the rear.

After plowing last winter I used my infrared thermometer on my transfer case as I had serious bearing issues in it and my last oil change on it did not look good. I did check my axles and my transfer case and transmission they were all around 120 to 94 degrees after plowing for 4 1/2 hours in heavy wet snow.

3. whitelite

whitelite Member

When I changed out the manual trans and the diff. I put in class 5, "Red Line" in the recommendations set forth in my vehicle manual.. Don't think there is anything better.:salute:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011