1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Gmc

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by yard5864, Apr 12, 2008.

1. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I am trying to figure out what is worse, the 90 mile trip in the passenger seat of a tow truck with my truck on the flatbed OR knowing that the motor in my truck is F*#(ed. :cry:

I was driving home today and all the engine oil from the motor came out from under my rear bumper at 65mph. :eek:

Any one know what kind of project I would be looking at for a 350 motor swap? And where would a good place to get one be?

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Dude that really sucks how many miles did you have on it?? Its a 6.0 right?? What exactly broke or went out??

3. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

yes it is a 6.0... 180K miles.

I don't know exactly what happened yet. I was 2 pi$$ed off to crawl under neath it tonight. :mad: I will get it on the lift monday. I was heading down the highway at 65mph, the oil pressure dropped to 0 and there was an oil slick comming out the back side. By the time I got out of the center lane and to the shoulder, the truck had shut off.

I am kinda thinking the block, but I don't know for sure. When I peaked under neath the oil was comming from above the area of the filter.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going bet it blew an external oil cooler hose (possibly from rust or defective from new). The 6.0's don't normally just grenade for no reason.

If it turns out that it in fact was a cooler hose (or O-ring) it should have shut off the engine in enough time to save it from running without oil pressure for too long. A set of cooler lines or O-ring and some oil and you should be ok.

5. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Thanks B&B I really appreciate the info, I will check it out and let you know. I am hoping it would be something fairly easy or should I say cheap.
    I have a guy thats lets me use a lift at his shop when ever I need, so Monday I will get it in the air and check it out.
    Why is it stuff like this always happens when payup payup is tight? . Another form of Newton's law...

Thanks again for your info.

6. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Well I got the truck apart. The engine is locked up tight. :realmad: :cry:

So it looks like it will be a motor swap this summer. :dizzy:

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you discover why it locked up? Oil loss?

8. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

The oil filter ruptured. It looks like it came apart at the seam. the shop i took it to called the filter manufacturer, and they said to send it in to them so they could inspect it. If they find it was a manuf. defect, they will pay for the repairs. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking before the shop shipped it to take pictures of the filter.

At the moment I really don't need the truck, so I am going to wait a week or so to hear what the filter manufacturer has to say.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your case isn't the first incident I've seen that a ruptured filter caused an oil loss, and ultimately the loss of the engine.

What brand of filter was it? By any chance was it a Fram?

10. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

No not a fram. Napa.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I gotta say I'm surprised. NAPA's filters are Wix brands filters, very good stuff. Sure sounds like a manufacturing defect. Only other cause for a ruptured seam could have been a stuck pressure relief valve in the oil pump which will send the pressure shy high, blowing the filter open. Be sure to post back with your results.

12. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Is there a way to test the pressure relief in the oil pump? to find out if that was the cause.

I will keep you posted as this mess progresses. Thanks for your info.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not possible to check pressure output if the engine no longer runs yard.

The LS series engine oil pumps are driving off the crankshaft, so unless it runs there's no simple way of testing oil pressure. Only real option would be to disassemble the oil pump and check the relief valve for sticking/binding or contamination. Wouldn't be 100% valid check anyway.

14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Was it a pro select or a gold series filter? I used to run the napa gold filters but I found a store where its cheaper to get AC Delco filters.

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Dude that sucks!!!!! I will agree, the 6.0 just doesnt randomly grenade like that at all. I have really never heard of an oil filter busting like that. That would be good though if they pay for the repairs of the engine. I always use AcDelco filters on my truck and car. Never had or really heard of any issue with them. Fram, I wouldnt put one on a wheelbarrow, LOL:D

16. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Gold - I have been using them for quite a while, now I believe I will be switching brands.

LOL! I agree 100%.