1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 gmc truck question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PORTER 05, Oct 11, 2008.

1. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

1999 GMC Sierra 3500 Reg Cab 159.5 Dump truck dually 4X4

Engine: 5.7L 8 Cyl. gas

Transmission: Automatic

75,000 miles , with i -pack storage

hi guys test drove this truck today, the truck from 0 MPH to 10 MPH is very sluggish it had alot of trouble moving, just very slow to get up past 10 seemed like it was being restricted some how , once the truck got over 10 it went fine and it went fast, it was great, when the truck was at 0 MPH and shifted to revers fine, and to drive fine you could hardly tell when you shifted it, was really good, when you where driving from ) to 10 then on and on to 50 you could not tell when the truck shifted it was super smooth....i was told that the 5.7 L has low gears and it was perfectly normal to be sluggish like that, i just got worroied that if it was sluggish like that what would it be if i loaded it with 5 yrds of mucl would it be more sluggish or would it be the exact same way and its just normal, just like if i had bouthg it out of the dealer.

i wanted to know if this is normal and if guys with this same truck see this same thing..

thank you

plan on buyig the truck , they want 14,900 for it it also has a 8.5 fisher mm plow, the truck looks brand new its nice....i was going to give him 11,500 sash and see what he says.

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Maybe just in the way it is geared?? It should have 4.10's and the 4L80E trans. I had the same set up in a 94 2500 and it had all kinds of go go juice down low like that. Did it sputter or anything on take-off?? Seems odd, im sure B&B will have more insight to this:drinkup:

3. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

nope, it shifted great into D from N and when i put my foot on the gas and pushed it down to pull out of the lot it seemed as though i was towing somthing or had a full load in the truck but i dint, i though that the E break was was but it wasnt...then after about it reached about 10 mph it started to go faster down the rd and i was going 50 in no time it was great, i couldnt even tell when the truck was shifting , i was nice, but then i pulled into a lot stopped and then took off again and even going slow around the lot it seemes sluggish like somthing was blocking or somthing..