1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 ford superduty

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by tc21, Oct 6, 2009.

1. tc21

tc21 Member

Hey guys I just wanted your input. I have 2 F250 Superdutys one a 99 and one a 2002. So I am pretty use to understanding typical ford problems. Any way. I was looking a this 2000 ford F250
    Super Duty 4x4 for sale with a Fisher frame and Wiring. It has 137,000 miles and standard transmission. For $2,500. The seller said it needs engine work. But didn't know what it needed? He shut it down as soon as it made this noise and had it towed home. He needs a van because he's a plumber. I think it needs a oil pump. If you put your hand on and listen to the oil pan you can hear the pump knocking. I looked at the oil on the stick and it seemed like it had some sludge. I called my mechanic and he said don't buy it. Every thing else in this truck is tight. I drove it and it seemed ok. I was thinking If I just change the oil pump and run new oil through it a couple of times it might be ok. Any input would be great.

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Well for $2500 there is a lot you can do with it if all it has are engine probs. Speaking of which; what engine does it have?

3. tc21

tc21 Member

The 5.4 v8 motor

4. stroker79

Im sure that if the engine isnt an easy fix that you could get another 5.4 from a wrecked truck and drop it in. Or you could also drop in a diesel engine but that would require a bit more work.

5. tc21

tc21 Member

Ya that is what I was thinking. If I could get the truck for less that would be great. The mechanic was saying. Why not just by a truck with out engine problems. Because by the time he's done installing the engine it's $3000.00. So then I'm in for 5-6 thousand

6. stroker79

Well yeah if you have to pay someone else to do the install then it might not be worth it.

Even still though, A truck as nice as you describe with a newer engine for 5-6 grand isnt bad either.

7. tc21

tc21 Member

Thanks. I might pull the triggger today.