1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'99 Ford Super Duty

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Lazer Man, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

On our '99 F 250 the "door ajar" and interior dome light is stuck on. Where is the door switch located and how do I get to it? I can't find a button or switch.

Bob

2. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Which cab style?

I have a 99 F-250 Extended Cab that did the same. Mine was a passenger door switch. You have to remove the door panels and get into the window mechanism area. The switch is actually about 3/4 of the way down on the rear edge of the door. It is actuated by movement of the door latch so it is not external to the door. It has a two clip connector but the PITA part is that it has to be rotated 90 degrees to be inserted/extracted. Kind of like a twist lock set-up. Not overly difficult, but be patient or you will break the tabs on the connector or switch. Parts are about $15 and they are not identical from driver to passenger side (so I was told by my Ford Tech). I have replaced two now.....

Good luck! :waving:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

He's exactly right.They are very brittle,so be careful not to break the new one.

Don't let Ford try to sell you the whole door latch.

4. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

My 99 SD Ext cab did the same thing, spray the latch with WD-40 or something similar. Dirt/grime collects and causes the switch not to fully close...hence the door ajar light and dome light stay on.

5. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

HerkFE it's a regular cab and thanks for the info. Also does the switch turn left or right.

Bob

6. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

The WD-40 trick is the way to go. Quick and easy. Worked for me several times. Jake.

7. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Don't bother taking apart the door. WD40 is the trick. Look at the door from the side, on the latch there is a little roller looking thing. Try spinning it, dust and grime freeze it up. Spray a little and work it in.

Ford used that same switch on Rangers, F-150s and Superdutys. Can always tell when someone has gotten so frustrated that they don't bother going back to the dealer.... See one or two week driving around here with the dome light on at night. Dirt roads, and LOTS of mag chloride do it.

Howard

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

wd -40 usually works

i have custoners that have removed the interior light relay
    to get the light out

they light works backward
    when the tab is out its off
    tap in on
    the problem is its attached to the door latch
    gets mucked up then stays on

cardoctor

9. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Hmmm which direction....

Does your light go out when you drive? Mine did. Clicked off around 10-15 mph? If it doesn't it may be a relay issue and not a door switch. Just a thought....

Anyway, I can't remember which direction to turn the switch...sorry. Try the WD trick first if you like but it really isn't a huge deal to replace them unless your hands are like big 'ole meat hooks! Then it is a bit tight in there. You can have the door panel off in about 5 minutes and once you locate the switch inside it twists fairly easily. Just gently try it both ways. Remember as you remove it which way it came out so you know which way to twist for the install.

Give yourself plenty of time so when it goes smoothly you'll have time left over to enjoy a cold one! :drinkup:

Pete