1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Ford F350 Grinding

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jjfinn, Jun 26, 2013.

1. jjfinn

jjfinn Member

I just bought a new to me 99 Ford F350. It has the 7.3 diesel and automatic. I am getting a grinding sound that sounds like the flywheel. I changed the flywheel and started without the transmission hooked up and it sounded like a normal diesel, hooked the transmission up and its making the sound all over again. Is it the Torque Converter? Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the convertor to me

3. damian

damian Senior Member

bad converter.

4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Converters are known to be weak in those transmissions, espicially behind the diesel. Ive never heard one grind, but have had one fail. Take it to a good trans shop and have it properly diagnosed, and if it is the converter, spend some money on a good one so you dont have that issue again. My trans guy said to try to avoid full throttle starts, espicially while towing to save the converter