1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Ford f250 v-10 issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by R75419, Oct 5, 2013.

1. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

Our 99 F250 with the v-10 is having a very rare intermittent issue that I was hoping you guys could help with. Once in awhile it will turn over great but wont start. I can then switch the key to off put the accelerator 1/3 to 1/2 way to the floor crank the engine for 5-7 seconds, switch the key to off crank it again, then the truck will start. I am hoping to solve this issue before it wont start some time after we get done blowing/salting sidewalks. Once running the truck runs great, under 70,000 miles. Thanks in advance for the input and ideas.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

When its not starting. Can you hear the fuel pump running?

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly what I was about to say. I've had fuel pumps cause intermittent starting issues and eventually failed all-together.

4. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

Forgot to mention that part.... yeah I can hear the fuel pump.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Check see if its popping up Error Codes

6. dieselss

It's fuel related. Maybe fuel psi regulator. Or getting like vapor locked for some reason.

7. wizardsr

Could still be a weak fuel pump, even if you can hear it running, it may not be holding the line pressure needed. That fact that you're cycling the key to get it going leads me to think a fuel pressure issue. Get a pressure gauge on it.

8. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

Will the pressure gauge still apply the 95/100 times I dont have a problem? Most of the time it starts right up with no issue. I usually drive it at least once a week 18 miles round trip to keep things lubricated and the rust off the rotors. The vapor lock idea sounds good but I thought it had to be hot outside for that to happen. The random times it does it seem to have no rhyme or reason.
    Thanks for the thoughts guys!

9. dieselss

If you could narrow it dwn to.time and temp. When does it seem to happen the most ?

10. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

thats the rub.... it has happened on a warm engine, a cold engine and on days when the temp is hot and cold. The day before I posted this it did it on a 70 degree day, the first time in probably 50 starts. The time before it was in late march early april 40 degrees and cloudy if I remember correctly. It is VERY intermittent but annoying and worrisome all the same!

11. wizardsr

Yep, if the pump is weak. Putting a gauge on it will also tell you if the check valve in the pump is holding the line pressure needed for starting. Honestly, on a 14 year old Ford, I'm surprised the fuel pump is original. What you describe is exactly how my 03 V10 acted last year. Most of the time it fired right up, other times it just cranked and cranked, didn't matter if it was hot or cold, etc, very random. Cycling the key worked a couple times. The last time it didn't start we had to bang on the tank to get it going and drove it straight to the shop and replaced the fuel pump, and all starting issues are now history.