1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Ford F-350 5.4 V8 5200# front axle

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by JCark, Sep 4, 2008.

1. JCark

JCark Member

hey guys, im new to this. I have been wanting a plow since i was about 4 and I finally have the ability to get a truck and a plow. I bought a used Superduty in great condition. it set me back 7 grand but worth it i think. tuesday it is going to fisher to get a new 8 ft HD installed. I just want your advice and input here. Fisher told me it would handle any plow i wanna put on it, but i know that they may just want to sell me a big plow (big price too). I just want to make sure the 8ft HD wont be too much since i see so many things about front axle problems in older superduties. also, what are timbrens, and how do they work? Are they easy to install? im not sure if ill need them or not... i know i have alot of questions, i figured all you pro's would know a bit more than my dealer.

2. ACS

ACS Member

Nice truck , Your truck should not even have a problem with that plow. Timbrens are just a load booster to help support the load of something heavy either up front or in the rear of your truck. So it does not sag down.
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll be fine with that plow. Some guys run 9ft+ v plows, western wideouts, blizzard 810's etc on 1 tons. Your 8ft straight is no big deal.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And don't forget to remove the aftermarket brush guard before you deliver it to the installer....or they will charge you extra to remove it before installing the plow. :)

BM'S PLOWING Member
    from MASS.

I have a 05 250 with the 5600 lbs FAWR. i put a 8 1/2 fisher hd on mine and its like its not even there. you should not get any sag at all with that plow. might want to think about going a little larger if you are doing commercial. I live about a hour from you, out in northampton mass. any questions send me a pm. Good luck this winter and nice truck. Congrats.ussmileyflag

2005 FORD F-250 W/ 8 1/2 FISHER HD
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You can't just bolt the plow to that and put the pump and lights on the brushguard and do away with the headgear??:confused:
  7. JCark

JCark Member

The brushguard will be taken off before i bring the truck to the shop. my buddy dean is gonna fabricate the brush guard to go in the mmII when the plow aint on. well, we are going to try anyway :dizzy:. as for commercial lots, i dont really have anything too big, just a few churches and some residential driveways that are big enough. I wish i could get a bigger plow but i want new for the warranty and wanna stay within my budget. this is my first winter plowing so im going to take it easy and get a feel for it, meanwhile im gonna do some searches and look for some good plowing advice within the forum. This place is like a goldmine for that kinda stuff. I thought i was crazy that i liked snow plows so much, I even sold my new arctic cat 4 wheeler to get one, ill fit right in here, glad I found it.

on a side note, do an image search of "snowplow" and almost every image you get is from this forum, lol.
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

:D We try and keep ourselves busy here. I bet the first few pages are all from us.
  9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck will be fine hanging that plow off of there. I have pretty much the same plow (Just a Western) on my 2500 truck (equivelant to an F 250) and it has no problems.
  10. ACS

ACS Member

are you being serious? I cant tell if your trying to make a joke

But if your not joking , no you can not attach a plow to that its just a brush guard it would tare off in a second.

Heres a Video , People think there a push bumper or something strong . but there not , just good to keep **** from hitting your grill and headlights when going threw the bush.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Sarcasm, there's a lot of it on here. :D
  12. ACS

ACS Member

Oh ok sorry , there was just a bunch of question marks after it soo I wasnt sure .... But still a funny video anyways haha
  13. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Ball joints suck on those trucks.
  14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

As said above, the front end are kinda crappy on the Ford's but an 8' should be fine on that truck. Heck, if it was me I would get a 9'!:)
  15. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

hey man im in amsterdam ny. where is that truck located. it looks like a good truck. I have an 03 f250 with a 5.4 and I love it. only get 9mpg but i still love it. I got a 8ft fisher mm2 on mine with the same front end and mine doesnt squat AT ALL!. That what I love about this truck. I hook up the 9klb fifth wheel barily squats.
  16. JCark

JCark Member

nice, im in rotterdam right on the outside of schenectady. I get the same mileage as you but its worth every penny, ill drive a superduty for the rest of my life lol. hows the fisher, you like it? ever have any problems w/ it? a few friends of mine have older fishers and they restored them, they havent had a problem since, ill take some pics for you, and of mine once its installed. how much ballast should i use, fisher says 410#'s but i would rather have 600#'s i think, not sure though.