1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke too quiet (no engine noise)

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Chev2500, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

Just picked up a 99 F350 P-stroke 7.3. My problem is above idle it has just about no engine noise. Idle sounds about normal but above idle all you really hear is the turbo. It's slow until 1800rpm when the turbo comes on. I know for a fact the glow plugs are bad, but that wouldn't make it sound like this... it sounds more like a gas than a diesel. Anyone ever have this problem? 7.3 has always beat all for having the most engine noise, but this thing has beat all for having the least engine noise.

2. bry03

bry03 Junior Member

is it lacking power? is this the first 2 gen powerstroke you have ever drove? the 2 gens are quieter then the first gen trucks..

3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

We're gonna need some audio on this one....

4. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

First diesel I have ever owned (aside from diesel farm equip). I have a friend that has a F350 7.3 and as the rpm increases the engine "knock" goes up, like a diesel should do. Mine after you get off idle (600rpm) the "knock" is just about gone. Power isn't what it should be, as my last plow truck was a 1999 Chevy 2500 6.0 and it would have smoked the socks off this thing. I'll try to get a audio clip. audio is worth 1K words :)

5. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

Could it be timing? Injectors? Friend of mine has a 75hp tune and mine is stock... maybe they never were loud??? IDK? His is super loud, but.....

6. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

check your air filter? So simple that it could be the problem

a friend of mine had one of the first F-550s I ever saw....mid 98, and in 2000 after putting 3726 air filters in the truck, he took it in to the dealer for a hard start when cold. There was a tsb on the filter housing because it drew from the wheel well, even though he changed the filters nearly every other month it still lost the engine and turbo. We never noticed much wrong other than the hard start....but once it came back we now understood the pulling power of that truck with a big trailer

7. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

Truck has new air and fuel filters. I think I'll prob just have to take a stap at the injectors. Do you know if I can just do a rebuild kit (new 0-rings) or if I need a new injector? Also, do I need to use the different style for cyl #8?

8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Mine is quiet once Im rolling, like while driving if i step on the gas all i hear is the turbo spool up.
    My turbo spools up way before 1800rpms though.

9. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

So the "clank" you have at idle goes away once you get off idle? If I pop the hood and have the truck in neutral once it gets past idle all I hear is the turbo. Turbo comes on alot faster than 1800, as in I can hear it at idle, but it doesn't start pulling hard til 1800.

10. Dobber

Dobber Junior Member

Do you have a stock exhaust setup? I know that turbos eat alot of noise. my 7.3, though an IDI, is pretty much the same way, and its a 3' straight pipe. if i stand next to the hood i hear engine, anywhere else all i hear is turbo. when i got her, not a single glowplug was working(found that out a week later) and the injection pump timing was WAAAAY off. i timed it properly, replaced the glowplugs and turned the pump up a half a turn, and its only louder over 2200rpm. as for the power issues bown low, i have always heard that. the 1st gen(boxy body) powerstroke that i drove at work is like that too. the turbo has alot of lag. if there isnt anything wrong with the engine mechanically, my suggestion would be go to banks performance. they have a wastegate actuator that says it should help correct that. part number 24400
    ~Joe

11. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

If I park it in a heated garage she fires right up, It is lacking in the power department, but isn't missing. Can you tell me how to time the pump on it? Truck is a later style 1999

12. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

What are your turbo PSI #s? You should be able to hit 15-17#s of boost at wot. If you arent you have a leak somewhere. Its likely one or more of the 6 rubber boots, There are 1 in an one out of the intercooler and 4 up by the turbo.

You either need to get a gauge and check your PSI or charge the system using an air compressor to test. But having a boost leak with definitely quiet the engine down when you are driving it. My 99 has the same issue right now as well, I have 2 ripped boots.

13. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

If you're checking for boost leaks make sure you check the up-pipes. Ford in their infinite wisdom used a crush type rubber donut to seal them that does not last very well. The common upgrade there is to just use the International up-pipes that use a metal gasket to seal.

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/m...duct_Code=IH1837872C93&Category_Code=F731-OEM

The more I think about it the more it would make sense that it would be a boost leak. I know when I blow boots off mine from too much boost all you can hear is turbo and it lacks a lot of power it otherwise has.

For what it's worth up-pipes are a b*tch to do but once you've got the bellowed uppies in there you're good to go never have to touch em again.

14. Dobber

Dobber Junior Member

Chev2500, my engine is an IDI, not a powerstroke so i dont think its the same procedure. they ARE the same engine, but its kinda like a chevy 350 small block and a chevy 350 LT1. same but different. there is a stalk with 2 nuts on mine that controls it. i would recommend you buy the HAYNES DIESEL REPAIR MANUAL. its a blue book and should be avalible at the local auto parts stores. thats how i figured out mine. there is also a helpful section in there that has some "this is the problem if this happens" stuff. it covers gm and ford diesels. as I am no mechanic that is the best that i can do for you, but that book will help you one way or the other. sorry for not being too much help.
    ~Joe

15. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

What is the build date of your truck? There are early 99 and 99.5 trucks out there. Early 99's had a different turbo compressor wheel which resulted on a lot more turbo whistle than the late 99's. That may be the reason that you are hearing the turbo a lot more. That compressor wheel is now sold aftermarket. It is called a Wicked Wheel and helps reduce turbo flutter.

16. stroker79

Im pretty sure that turbo wheel was changed in 2000. My late 99 has a loud loud loud turbo whistle. Much louder than my 03

17. damian

damian Senior Member

there is no timing adjustment on 7.3 power stroke,it does not have an injection pump.my guess is you have an intake leak,climb on the engine while someone puts it in low and brakestand it,listen for hissing at the intake hoses,also the glow plugs have nothing to do with running just cold starts.i would also check fuel pressure.but before all this guessing you need to plug into this thing and check codes and data.not all codes throw a check engine light.the codes and data will usually reveal the problem,low boost,low injection pressure etc good luck

18. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

I got a sound clip of it, but have no way of posting it. The big problem with it is the low end bogg. I pulled a car trailer with a '97 GP 600 miles yesterday and aside from being hard to get rolling w/o using super low she pulls like a freight train. I have to say I avoid clutch slippage at all cost, I could of gotton it rolling in 1st, but I would of been letting the clutch out at around 1200rpm. Using granny gear I was able to let it out at around 800rpm. 70mph mpg is right around 18, pulling the trailer (70mph) I was getting right around 13mpg.

19. stroker79

I'm telling you, it's either an exhaust leak or you have a broken boot somewhere. And standing on the engine whke a buddy does a brake stand is stupidly dangerous. Check your up pipes and manifolds. If it's not that then make or buy a boot leak detector.

20. damian

damian Senior Member

i wouldnt suggest such a harrowing and scary stunt to a woman or an office type,but feats of such danger and cunning are pulled off every minute of every day by sane capable men.i wouldnt suggest you try anything like it . hey wouldnt you think an exhaust leak large enough to reduce boost would be painfully obvious? what would i know,i just work on these for a living.you could kill an hour fooling around with intake plugs and other such flights of fancy or you could just check it my way in 1 minute and go on with more important things,just one mans opinion.