1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 f350 question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Frycztech, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Frycztech

Frycztech Junior Member
    from conn

I have a 99 F350 with a Fisher MM2 when I raise the plow the lights dim bad and the heater slows down. What is the best way to fix the problem? I threw a Redtop in from another car i had in and it didn't help. Any suggestions?

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Start with removing and cleaning ALL your electrical connections for plow and n
    battery.

3. Frycztech

Frycztech Junior Member
    from conn

ok I cleaned all the terminals and that didn't help. Someone said that I should upgrade the ground and power wire to the alternator, should I do that?

4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

That wouldn't hurt. Is it a 7.3? My buddy last winter went through 6 alternators before putting on a new hot to the battery and ground. You need to make sure you have a fuse or fusible link in the hot if you do that. Good luck

5. Frycztech

Frycztech Junior Member
    from conn

No its the 5.4L

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I'm not sure if it was as big of an issue on the gassers, but it's not going to hurt anything to put the extra cables on. Again, just be sure to add an in-line fuse or fusible link to the wire from the output on the alternator. You might just take the alternator out and have it tested. It may just be weak and not able to keep up. Its a pretty easy job on those engines.

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You can do that on 5.4L the cable to alternator are too small and it turn red to yellow/white.

Do what Plowtoy say. I told him last year to add cables. I would get thicker cable like welder cable size should be plenty for volt go though cable and not heat up cable like factory cable was.

8. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

put a second battery in and upgrade your alternator. with only one battery and a 85 amp alternator you are overpowering it.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Your going to have a dimming of lights and slow down of the blower. The pump pulls major amps which drops the voltage. Use the search function on the gray line above. Search: low power, lights dim, duel batteries, high output alternator, ect. You will finds hours of reading. It's a subject beat to death since plows were bolted on trucks.

10. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

I am having the same issues with my 7.3. Upgraded to a 200 amp alt. and same thing. At idle I am getting 11.8 v at alt. At high idle it's reading 14.3. Checked to see if glow plugs were staying on or the fuel heater and both checked out o.k. Seems like there is a draw somwhere. Gonna upgrade charging wires today to see if it makes a difference. My only question is can I leave the existing charging wire hooked up with the upgraded cale or should it be removed?

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

where are you cking for the 11.8??? and i left my factory alt wire, and ran a new 2g wire right to the drivers side batt,,thats where i have all my plow stuff hooked to and no issues

12. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

I get 11.8 at the battery with truck running. With truck off I get 12.9 at battery.

13. dieselss

what batt???

14. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Driver side. I disconnected the cables when I checked battery volts. Both batteries are 12.9 volts. Just installed heavier charging wire and checked again with sct programmer and voltmeter with truck idling still 11.8 v.

15. dieselss

But your only getting that at 1 batt? What's the other batt getting and what's the grounds looking like?

16. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Getting that at both batts. Grounds are good and clean. Thinking I need a smaller pully on this new alt. At1000 rpm its putting out 14. 4 v.

17. dieselss

No. Is it the same size as the factory one?

18. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

yeah, its the same size.

19. dieselss

Then maybe. Is the new alt rated at idle range or above? Sounds like its rated for driving rather then idling

20. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Got fed up and put the original 110 amp alt. back on and now i'm getting 14.3 v at idle. I guess the 200 amp alt. is faulty. The reason I swapped the original uot for a higher amp is because I had significant voltage drop when plowing. The 200 amp is worse than the 110. Will call DB tomorrow to see whats up with the 200 amp.