1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 F350 Fuel Guage / tank size

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Flipper, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Fisrt of the NBS PICKUPS I have owned. Previously had a 95 with dual tanks. I have had two NBS dumps but they sat more level because of the heavy bed.

This is a Supercab with the suicide doors, shortbed with the 7.3 diesel. I got a deal on it in May for a trailer hauler. Lately I have been driving it more and paying attention to the fuel guage. Last night I filled it up fuel light was on and guage was in the red, it took 26 gallons. What is the tank size? I thought it was 34. I have driven 75 miles and it has dropped a 1/4. Wondering if the fact that the rear of the truck is up causes a bad reading. I have notice if I park it facing uphill a bit the guage jumps up almost a quarter and if facing downhill it is down about the same. Is the guage off from the factory or does my truck have a problem. The dump I have seems to be spot on.

SO what is the true reading? Did I have 8 gallons left? Is it a smaller tank in the shortbed? I know I am getting 14-16 mileage based on caluculating how much needed to fillup the last few times, so the truck is running well and its not leaking.

Anyone had a similiar experience? I am going to level out the front before it gets a plow in the fall will that help?

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

i want to say 38 gal. but i could be wrong.

3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

ive got a reg cab long box 350 and ive got a 38 gallon tank... i know the short beds have a smaller cell due to less room. i want to say its like 28 gallons but im not sure.. yea the ford trucks sensor is in rear of tank and when you parking facing up hill all the fuel flows to back so it reads higher if you face downhill it will read lower...

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

just looked it up on a ford truck forum and short box has 29 gallon fuel tank..

5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

29 gallon for short beds and 38 for long beds mine normally take like 22-24 gallons when i fuel her

6. Flipper

from CT

Is that from when the light goes on / gauage go into red? So really you still have 5 gallons left?

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Mine always was, I could very seldom put more than 25 gallons in if I filled it right after the light went on.

Couple times I did push the 29 mark, though. :eek: :eek: And once was about midnight just after coming through Quad Cities. Thought I was really screwed that time.

8. Flipper

from CT

OK . Good to know I still have 50-60 left once the light goes on even at teh lower end of what I have been getting on it for mileage.

Thanks

9. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i try not too get that low once and awhile i'll get low enough for a true fill up but if todays prices i try not to get that low

10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

29 on the short beds, 36 on the longs.....